Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-15T19:18:10+00:00

    I'm hoping Microsoft will be able to fix some of this with a firmware upgrade. Not keen on trying stuff myself on a 5200$ machine :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-15T17:06:31+00:00

    Now we know why M$ was pushing out those free Surface Headphones with pre-order.

    My SS2 also seems to like spinning up those fans even though the system is basically idle. 

    I'm going to try under volting using Intel XTU that some SS1 users tried.

    I'll post my results .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-15T16:32:02+00:00

    Mine has been exchange - the new one is MARGINALLY quieter. But overall still very loud. I wouldn't recommend this computer to anyone who likes to work in a quiet environment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-15T16:25:12+00:00

    I'm having the same issue. My Surface Studio 2 arrived yesterday. It's amazing and fast but my fans are always running, even when it's not doing anything (no apps open). I'll try the diagnostic and clean boot when I get home.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments