Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-03T15:47:15+00:00

    Why would the full system recovery work when the fan is still making the same noise when OS is not started?

    I entered UEFI setup screen (which is equivalent to old BIOS screen) and fan was also blowing like crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-20T06:11:52+00:00

    Agree. Sent mine back fortunately in time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-12T11:39:54+00:00

    I ended up selling mine at a massive loss. I'm not sure how anyone who isn't hard of hearing can work on these things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-10T14:53:05+00:00

    Thanks for letting me know. M$ support was abysmal - they were asking me to rebuild the whole Win installation only to be able escalate the case to product management. I am returning it. I have enough from the fan noise, coil whine and this poor support experience. Really disappointing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments