Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-08T02:01:41+00:00

    I've been through this process too.  I opened a case, someone hopped on my machine, look around, installed some new graphics drivers and asked me to report back the next day.  Things didn't improve so he automatically organised a swap for me.  This was about 2 weeks ago and I've just received my replacement and the same thing is happening.

    Its just always loud.  GPU temp is sitting around 52 C (126 F) while idle and its making a fair bit of noise.  As soon as I start using the machine for regular day to day usage, the heat and fan really crank up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-30T18:12:26+00:00

    The fan stops idling, when it is not in 'idle mode', aka sleep. It stops immediately when I wake up the studio.

    The fan ran for a whole night, until I discovered that in the morning. Woke it up, fan stopped.

    It is an awesome monitor, but the machine underneath needs some work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-03T11:25:43+00:00

    Yeah that's the one I put on too. I've now tried everything suggested here and since nothing really helped, I've opened a repair case with Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-03T10:23:39+00:00

    I wasn't clear about the firmware, sorry about that.

    SurfaceStudio2_Win10_17763_1801710_0.msi 

    This looks like the latest version, I however installed the other driver set (ending *10_1.msi) thinking that was the latest.

    I'm not too sure it matters that much, as the fix mainly just needs the updated clean install, rather that the factory install .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments