Wi-Fi connection control questions

Anonymous
2012-11-11T11:54:07+00:00

Hi!

I have 2 question on Wi-Fi connection:

  1. Is it possible for US version of Surface RT to use European Wi-Fi channels 12, 13, when I'm in Europe?
  2. Is it possible to select exact Wi-Fi band to use (eg. n-only, bgn, bg, g-only)?
Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-09T00:28:05+00:00

Greetings Eric,

Have you tried switching your router down to use Channel 11?

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-08T22:22:35+00:00

Greetings MarcellOnay,

Sorry for the delayed response. Regulatory requirements vary from country to country and the Surface team strives to honor the legal requirements of all the countries we do business in. The Surface devices sold in your country have been designed to comply with the regulations of your particular country and/or region. This may prohibit the use of particular WiFi channels when traveling to countries or regions with differing regulatory requirements.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-17T22:01:43+00:00

Hi all I had the same problem and changed the value of the channel from 12 to 6 in the wireless setting in my router and it worked fine

Now I can connect

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-20T05:31:49+00:00

Greetings Glen,

WiFi is configured differently on a country by country basis based on regulations and cannot be changed.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-06T13:26:39+00:00

    Hi there,

    I’m facing a strange experience with one of my Surface RT.

    I have one Surface RT (bought in France) which  connects to my home WIFI network with no problem.

    I have a second Surface RT (bought in the US) that never sees my home WIFI network, but it can see all the other WIFI networks in the neighborhood !!!

    I have tried to disable and re-enable the WIFI card.

    I have tried all the network troubleshooting tools.

    I have fully reinstalled WinRT.

    I have tried all the manual network command lines and parameters.

    I have tried some registry changes recommended in some forums.

    I have tried to manually add my home network in the WIFI connections.

    I have checked the whole router configuration and could not find any issue.

    I have rebooted the router itself.

    and much more

    Sometimes after reboot the behavior changes:

    ·         Sometimes it will say “No network found”, but will find a few ones after some time

    ·         Sometimes it will find a few networks

    ·         Sometimes it will find more networks

    ·         But it will never find my own home networkL

    WIFI is working, there is nothing wrong in the device manager, no exception nowhere, it is just this Surface can’t see my home WIFI network.

    I have many WinXP, Vista, 7 and 8 (RT and PRO) devices at home, plus Kinect, WP8 phones, other smartphones and WIFI printers: they all connect without any issues.

    Any idea about what I can do to fix this issue.

    best regards, Eric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments