Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T06:25:13+00:00

    I'm not very trusting of Microsoft replacements because of all the horror stories I have heard about it and I am in a tough spot when comes to replacements right now. How do I know if I have the manufactures warranty ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T06:48:46+00:00

    I got my Surface replaced just a bit before the warranty expired, and i thought that would be the end of it, singe it's only affecting 1% of devices, right? Wrong. My replacement unit is also suffering from the same flickering issue i had with the first one. I am using this device as my work machine, and now I'm just out of luck. Please make this right Microsoft. Please. 

    I would be inclined to try returning to Microsoft if you can document that it happened in your previous device. 

    Also remember your replacement has a 90 day warranty. How long ago was the first device replaced, you did not specify.

    My original device was bought back in early 2016. I had it replaced last April. Safe to say I'm SOL with the warranty

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T07:19:58+00:00

    I'm not very trusting of Microsoft replacements because of all the horror stories I have heard about it and I am in a tough spot when comes to replacements right now. How do I know if I have the manufactures warranty ? 

    The Manufacturers warranty is one year default, regardless of the store you purchased it from. Since you're only a week outside of warranty you could try your luck with the Microsoft Store, moreso, if you can document that you contacted support with your concerns or the problem exhibited before the 1 year was up.  (The Microsoft store, might help you out depending on the associate you get.)

    If you did not purchase an extended warranty from Best Buy, you have nothing to claim from the company, you should be dealing with Microsoft directly.

    I understand not being trustful of the replacement, I just feel a replacement is better than a non-functional device. Ultimately however only you can make that determination.

    You can check your warranty here, though again based on your purchase date, unless you purchased an extended warranty like Microsoft Complete or Best Buys Geek Squad Protection, you would be outside the standard manufacturer's warranty.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T13:18:11+00:00

    Press Windows key + R and type devmgmt.msc in the Run, hit Enter key to open Device Manager snap-in.

    In the Device Manager window, click Display Adapters and Double click on the Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 driver then under the tab Driver you want to restore/roll back and select

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments