Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-11T18:35:16+00:00

    After trying all the suggestions in the 'flicker' forum, screen is still flickering on a 1200$ computer! I can't believe it and cannot express the frustration, given the hours spent on this. Won't be buying any MS products in the future. 

    Mike Danese

    ******@hotmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-11T20:47:07+00:00

    Will be sending off my 3rd device tomorrow. Constant flicker while gaming and other heavy load.

    My first device which I bought around christmas 2015 got the flicker after about a year. Then I luckily got a free out of warranty replacement, since the flicker started before my warranty went out.

    My second device (the replacement) got the the flicker after about 8-9 months. Ordered a new in warranty replacemet.

    My third device (this one) only getting flickering while under heavy load, but it started just a monthor so after I got it. Sending it off tomorrow for my fourth SP4. 

    Let's see how long my fourth device lasts. I'm going to keep send them off every time I encounter this issue as long as I don't have to pay anything.

    I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. Some gaming, some work, some casual browsing, some movie watching, but all keep failing after a while.

    I can live without my surface a few days while waiting for a replacement. 

    So far I didn't have to pay for any replacements, so I'm very happy with the service, but this is getting ridicolous.

    Let's see how long the fourth device lasts.

    It would be better if they just acknoledged that SP4 is badly designed/engineered, and should upgrade all return SP4's to newer models (which seem to suffer less from this issue) I'm going to keep sending mine as long is they keep breaking under warranty.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-11T22:09:13+00:00

    An easy way to get the surface to over heat (end than flicker) in a few seconds is to launch this:

    http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/

    Has anyone found an air cooler suitable with the surface pro?

    Is there any other sort of fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-12T01:19:52+00:00

    Absolute **** of a support / warranty on these paperweights ! then asked for fork out 333 GBP for a problem that should be covered under warranty.

    Pathetic

    In the exact same boat here, total BS,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments