Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T17:08:14+00:00

    I have this issue too (Surface Pro 4 with Core m3). It started after 2 years of normal use. And I didn't play games or do anything heavy on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T07:30:03+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 4 that I bought in January 2016, and my screen started to flicker/shake about three days ago.

    I have the exact same issue (literally, word for word) with the OP. It only doesn't flicker with the following:

    "1. A video being played in browser 

    1. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
    2. If I use the touchpad
    3. If keyboard is used for typing"

    I'm a student in the middle of studying for exams, and it's making my life miserable.

    How has there been no resolution if this problem has been ongoing for the past couple of years?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T07:45:11+00:00

    Location Bangkok, Thailand

    Surface Pro 4 purchased March 2016 I5 256g ssd 8g RAM 

    I loved the machine as it incorporated all of the things I have been looking for in a 2:1 notebook. I only used this for my travels so it has lasted for almost 2 years.  But alas it has the Flicker now.

    I have just finished troubleshooting with Microsoft Malaysia.  After going through all of the various stages of checking including software updates, UEFI boot and ending with a complete re-installation of windows 10.  MS Malaysia concluded that it was a hardware problem and to fix it I would have to send it in for a replacement notebook.  That would cost over $500.00 USD.  

    I rejected the offer as it is the same as subscription computer to pay that amount every year to year and a half.  That is 1/3 of the original cost of the machine.  If I did it three times I would have purchased another machine that would probably be just as bad as this one.  As I would not take the offer to replace it the service ticket is closed out and I have either a very expensive brick or a very thin desktop machine running on an external monitor.

    Very disappointing Microsoft. Very poor quality control.

    I will not buy another MS hardware product again big or small.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T13:02:55+00:00

    Location: Malaysia as well.

    I keep following this thread since a month ago. As my surface pro 4 i5 256G is flickering since 1 year 3 months.

    And yes, i did when thru all the test as well as reinstalling the whole windows suggested by microsoft.

    The result is, the hardware problem. Solution is to replace a refurbish one with Ringgit Malaysia about RM2100, warranty for 3 months ONLY.

    I am really hesitate to do so. It wasn't the consumer fault, to me. There are too many case with screen flickering, definitely not user problem but manufacturer design fault from the begining.

    I send total of 3 link to microsoft. they agree will take a look at those link and feedback to me next week.

    I will post to you guys what action they will going have... hopefully.

    **PS: the 3 link are as below:

    1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/surface-pro-4-screen-flickering-shacking/570165cb-50a0-4d71-bcb1-310ddd869d1d

    2. https://flickergate.com/

    3. Surface Pro 4 owners are putting their tablets in freezers to fix screen flickering issues #flickergate

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments