Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T15:58:49+00:00

    Anyone got the solutions?

    Me too having same problem,

    My surface pro is running OK, but until few hours, the screen become flickering

    I bring the device to microsoft partner of service centre(technofied) at singapore

    And i'm charged $790 before tax

    They said had to change LCD screen

    What the hell microsoft???!!

    Im very dissapointed.. I always love and loyal to surface pro, been using surface pro1, eventhough the battery become bulky

    I really cant accept this..

    Im so dissapointed, please read below

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T16:05:40+00:00

    I've noticed that the flickering will stop if a pixel is animated. This can happen in an app that is running. the windows 10 gui or by input from the type cover. But also from dimming or brightening the lights of the screen. To me this does not sound like an issue with temperature. 

    For me the issue started some days ago. I've had this device for almost a year.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T16:26:36+00:00

    I am very dissapointed with microsoft

    My name is sandy +628170155151

    I love surface pro and all microsoft product, and using it for years

    But this surfacepro4 i own is flickering

    It was OK at the begining, and then it become flicker after 3-4hour of usage

    I bring the device to technofied (the only, microsoft service partner in singapore)

    I was charged $110 for checking and penalty if the product servicing is cancel

    Then they said i had to change LCD screen and charged $790

    I am very2 dissapointed :( i felt traped and being fraud by microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T17:54:35+00:00

    S$790 for LCD replacement?! WTF!!! You better save up the money to get a brand new Apple IPAD PRO or HP Tablet

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments