Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-11T14:51:40+00:00

    Lol ive had all of the surfaces the only one that still does what its suposed to is the surface 2 rt. I think its a bit ironic that they dont suport it anymore. ????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-11T14:54:43+00:00

    Ive turned off gaming options. that has made the problem slightly better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-12T12:21:38+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem on my surface Pro 4 bought at the end of 2015: it started shaking (randomly) but when it starts it is quite difficult to use it because screen becomes unreadable. So far was my best laptop/tablet ever but now with this issue I dont know...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-12T13:11:58+00:00

    Hello screen flickers,

    I've owned my Surface Pro 4 since December 2015 and had a problem free experience up until this week.

    I noticed the screen ghosting while watching Netflix in Google Chrome browser, I never really thought much of it so I restarted and I still had weird screen problems. 

    Both the LCD panel and the back of the Surface Pro was HOT.

    After a few things and downloading CPU temp monitors one thing I've noticed a huge improvement for stopping the screen flickering stopping any Google Chrome usage and instead use Edge, also instead of watching Netflix in browser I've downloaded the Netflix app from the store and so far I've had no re-occur of screen flickering. 

    So basically my Surface Pro is OK under minimal load e.g. Checking emails / Word docs / Excel / Light Edge use.

    Cheers Microsoft - soon as this becomes enough and eventually dies I'll not be a returning customer... funnily enough something very similar occurred with my ASUS G1s which again turned out to be a mass problem which the manufacturer refused ownership for any I've not touched another ASUS product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments