Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-13T20:17:13+00:00

    That's a dissatisfying response.  It seems the rep forgot the final observation that "it seems all return to this forum when their resolutions prove temporary."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-13T23:33:34+00:00

    thank you so much. Unfortunately I did not purchase a warrantee, as a struggling student mother and widower every penny counts.  I would like to pursue this before it completely brakes. do you have any suggestions as ware to start this pursuit? either with Microsoft or a part number? or as you mentioned parts, the actual name of the part that had been replaced? 

    I agree if the same part breaks on many PC's there should be a recall or a fix with or without purchasing a service plan. I purchased the i7 Surface pro 4, after having invested 3000.00 in a Sony Vaio with all the Gadgets that lasted well over 10 years. It is actually still going strong except that it is running Microsoft XP. and not supported any longer. I looked into a sony again but sony at the time was not manufacturing laptops that I could find. Figuring that Microsoft has most of the soft ware market I couldn't go wrong by investing in the next ten years. when I ordered and paid for it I was then informed there was a back order and would have to wait 2 months to get the actual PC.  believing in what I stated above I choose to wait and struggle with the old pc until its arrival. Apparently in the rush to fill orders there was no proving the machine would go the distance. perhaps I put to much into Microsoft.  is there any group as a hole working on this problem?  I have searched and found only your post that mentioned your problems with your surface pro 4. 

    Cathy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T03:46:02+00:00

    Pay $1000+ for a computer and Microsoft could absolutely care less whether it actually works. Conveniently after my warranty ends I also started getting the flickering issue.Tried all the recommended fixes but nothing works. Finally accepting that its an internal hardware problem...Microsoft needs to take responsibility for this!!! This computer was supposed to get me through grad school! 

    Side note--does anyone else notice that their fan has stopped coming on? I used to hear it all the time when I was in class since its pretty loud but since the issue started the fan hasn't come on once. 

    PLEASE HELP MICROSOFT!!!!!!! I'm a full-time grad student I can't afford another computer! Seriously even just a discount on a new computer would be helpful.. just anything at this point.

    to anyone looking to buy a surface: don't (unless you can afford to replace it in a year)

    now I understand why everyone uses macs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-14T03:46:34+00:00

    thanks for sharing, can I know which part of HW causing this shaking problem? The repair center near Chicago is it Microsoft repair center or third party?

    Me too struggled with this problem almost half year, since my warranty expired and MS abandoned us, I have to look for alternative way to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments