Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-23T00:15:20+00:00

    please share your story at Facebook.com/surfacescreenshaking and use #flickergate

    checkout flickergate.com as well. We're trying to generate exposure to get them to listen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-23T01:35:45+00:00

    One more comment on this - I've been seeing it on and off since 1709 release, but I see that most people have it when they have used the machine for an extended period under heavy load. Same here, but I think it's more to do with the extended period than it is with the heavy load. I've just used my SP4 for about 14 hours straight, only once in that time did it run the fan, and at that time it didn't flicker. near the end of the 14 hours, though, under relatively benign CPU temperatures (<40 degrees according to CoreTemp) did it start to flicker. Unplugging from the mains (may have) helped and going into battery saver mode (may have) helped. But the bottom line is, flickering seems to set in after a period of extended use, even if at the point when it starts, you're not running particularly hot. A reboot did NOT help, which seems to me to point at hardware. The link with 1709 may be coincidental.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-23T01:59:26+00:00

    My screen jitter occurs at the opposite times from the others here in that instead of occurring after heavy use, it only occurs when I first start using the SP4 and then soon goes away, almost as if it is triggered by the cold, not the heat.  Also, I don't see it much at home unless I have first had it at a different location and then return home.  When I go to a new location, I see it for awhile until the SP4 warms up or acclimates.  Not sure if it is the colder temps that occur when transporting (which is opposite of most who say that it is the heat) and/or the different router, but once it "settles in" at home, it is fine.  Very strange.  It sure would be nice to know if this is hardware or software.  I saw a post that said when returning his machine, they did a clean Windows install and before even signing in, it was there and the Tech said that indicated a basic hardware problem.  They need to get this figured out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-23T02:45:20+00:00

    My full screen is pretty much always shaking,  I have to use an external display monitor which works fine. Its been like this for months, definitely a hardware issue and no updates have helped, all drivers are up to date etc. Probably never buying a microsoft product again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments