Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-12T02:02:40+00:00

    hello sugarysalt,

    i also have been following this thread for quite some time and i do read the same conclusion about the refurbished ones that still got the same flickering problem. The thing is, my Microsoft support PIC do recommend me to do the exchange as 9 out of 10 cases that she handled turned out that the SP4 was ok (no flickering or repeated problem from the same SP4 users before). she recommend to the exchange because the Microsoft will go through the SP4 (repair+replacing+hardware+software+cosmetics) as she claimed and that will turn out to be the refurbised ones.

    still have the chance to exchange free of charge not knowing until when because of the 'commercial term' not personal bought from microsoft stores for perseonal use. should i or should not i exchange it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-10T19:47:23+00:00

    The same is with me. I have Lenovo laptop which is like 8 years old and is still working great. My sister uses that right now. But, this sucks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-10T19:44:52+00:00

    Hi all,

    I have got the same problem. My screen is flickering. It will turn on for some time, and suddenly the screen is off, but the surface is on. My warranty is also over, for 4 months. I went to their service center and they did the Diagnostic tool and everything was working. But, its not working again because of the hardware problem. Do I have to pay $500 for this? If yes, then I am not buying Microsoft device again.

    Chintan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-10T06:31:12+00:00

    I called support today because of the screen flickering in my Surface 4. I'm out of warranty, so I was asked to  send mine back to get a replacement. The price: up to $600 dollars. Really?

    I have two Toshiba laptops still in my possession that have been working for 14 and 8 years respectively. A $1500 dollar PC from Microsoft is going to break after less than 2 years? And I have to pay up to half the price of a new one to get it fix it?

    It goes without saying that I don't plan to replace it. One of these days I'll buy another laptop. This Surface is probably the last Microsoft hardware that I'll use.

    I'm in exactly the same position even if Microsoft offer to replace my SP4. Just waiting for Lenovo X1 Tablet (2G) or latest HP ZBook X2 in Australia. MS never again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments