Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-12T06:17:48+00:00

    This how bad the screen flickering look like on my SF Pro 4

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-12T06:16:48+00:00

    This is how bad my screen flicker problem. It get me dizzy look at it. Worst of all, I can't even sell it to get rid of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-12T06:09:39+00:00

    I have just written to MS via their email address when I bought the SF Pro 4. Now they give me this reply

    Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Support. The Service Request in this email has been closed. If you need further assistance, please visit http://support.microsoft.com.

    When I get into the link, any questio that you ask the reply is generated by computer in a template answer for me.

    I will never support any Microsoft Surface or any similar MS product anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-12T03:03:17+00:00

    Hi Mohd Faizal,

    Malaysian user here in Sabah, my unit (warranty expired) is replaced with refurbished unit (Free of Charge) under Advanced Exchange Program by Microsoft Surface Team back in end of June 2017. Lucky me.

    Screen flickering is not happen yet until now (touch wood) as my usage of this machine is at least 8 hours per day, everyday. 

    However, I just using it for YouTube, Netflix, browsing and Microsoft Office, and I dare not to install heavy software to stress it after i got this refurbished unit. 

    Pity me but I do change my mind now, I shall install PhotoShop and AutoCad in near future for learning purpose. In case of the screen flickering coming back, what I was thinking now is, to standby an external monitor with the mini-display adapter (not surface one because lost confidence and not wanting to support Microsoft hardware anymore)

    Think this is the only cheapest way I can do with this premium and failed product from Microsoft, because hardly sell my unit in my small town here, and also not afford to get another laptop/tablet as well.

    I suggest you to get the refurbished unit since the current unit of yours is not use-able when flickering happens and it is Free of Charge, better than doing nothing. As I am prepared if my current unit screen issue come back again for the worst case scenario like I said above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments