Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-29T08:53:08+00:00

    B-7000 works fine

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-29T07:51:19+00:00

    I have been looking for a new ultra book, but ended up ordering a new SP5 i7 16GB 512GB, which will arrive on Monday.

    I read the new i7 has improved hybrid cooling, so I really hope it will be a more trouble free experience than the SP4 has been.

    Apparently I could not really find a ultra book I would like as much as I have liked the SP4, so now against all odds I changed my mind and will give the SP5 a chance.

    The screen releasing from my SP4 seems to be the glue detaching as I can easily push it back in position, but the glue doesnt stick at this 7-8cm section. Since it is out of warranty, does anybody know what glue to use to carefully glue the screen back into position?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-28T20:43:26+00:00

    I have the same flicker issue after it's been on a few hours

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-28T18:34:44+00:00

    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+4+Teardown/51568

    >Does anybody know if the lithium battery is located at the lower left area? from what I can see the problem is caused by something swelling up inside the tablet. Anything else than the battery that can swell up like this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments