Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T07:22:11+00:00

    Hello there. If you are having doubts about the new Surface Pro 2017. Try checking this thread : 

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpronew-surfdrivers/surface-pro-2017-screen-flickering/d5993f03-0a86-417c-b35d-d4e1e3e6d250?auth=1

    The whole thing that we are experiencing is obviously some serious design issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T05:09:33+00:00

    Agreed. Never thought I would say this, but a Macbook Pro and the next generation Playstation seem likely to be in my future. Fingers crossed my Xbox One X won't die on me as soon as the warranty passes as well, but who knows, it is Microsoft Hardware after all. One thing is for certain, if it does, Microsoft won't care, just as they don't care for this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T04:54:42+00:00

    I have  had the flicker for almost 3 months.  As it became unusable I put it on the shelf.  Now the battery is dead and it will not start even with the power plugged into it.  

    Great Quality Microsoft.

    Never again will I buy any ANY MS hardware!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T04:25:28+00:00

    Exactly my point, I am not paying a dime or even travelling for a free replacement unless I am guaranteed that I am getting a model that does not flicker (Surface Pro 2017 which I haven't heard have this issues, or even a revised SP4 which they have corrected).

    But Microsoft has done NOTHING to acknowledge this issue, after several threads with 1000s of replies, different sites created, covered by the media, and Microsoft just continues silent. At least Apple acknowledged the throttling of older iPhones after getting caught and now is doing right-ish to their users. But Microsoft? Not a sound, just hoping the SP4 gets old and eventually the affected users like us move on. But quite the opposite is happening, as devices are getting older more and more are having this issue. Hope they eventually have to do something about it, as this is really unacceptable for a "Premium" computing device. 

    "The tablet that will replace your desktop". That should actually be the slogan, as certainly it can't replace a laptop without a working screen, but certainly it can replace an underpowered desktop as connected to an external display will be the fate of all these defective devices. 

    Quite disappointing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments