Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T15:15:25+00:00

    To tunepunk,

    TU

    You spoke for me! I believe all SF4 have this problem. It did not show for some, b/c the devices were not used much. (Like me for the first two years after purchase.) When the flickering started in December 2017, I went to MS Community and read all posts there and realized that there was no point for me to contact MS. So I am not even counted in the "small percentage"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T15:08:27+00:00

    What about replacement devices which got the same issue after a short while?

    I'm on my 4th replacement with the same issue. What's the point to replace a faulty SP4 with another faulty SP4. It's NOT "a small percentage" of devices that has this issue. 4 out of 4 of my devices had the exact same issue after a while...that's 100% ...

    If you want to save microsoft some money and headache you should upgrade SP4's to later models (i.e SP 2017) where the problem is less frequent.

    I'm pretty sure most replacement devices will suffer the same issue after a while since it's bad design/engineering and heating issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T09:57:27+00:00

    I’m from Vietnam, 

    my surface pro 4 have bought in 2016 and have updated to date but screen flicker. How to contact with microsoft for replace surface pro 4 device. 

    I looking forward to hearing from you soon. 

    Thanks & regards

    Kien

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T09:44:40+00:00

    I have had successive problems with Surface Pro 3 and I have noticed several users that like me also bought a surface pro 4e after 3 replacements always with problems the money was returned.

    Even so, they had a lot of trouble with the store that sold it and Microsoft Assistance.

    It is a huge inconvenience to repeatedly replace several applications with licenses and use registered on successive surface pro4 that are always with the same problems

    This device has a structural and non-conjunctural architecture problem.

    It is a solution that is not sufficiently tested, in processors, on the screen, etc. which made the percentage of malfunctions and problems so high.

    I DEFINITELY WILL NOT AOCMPTAR ANY MORE MICROSOFT PRODUCT!

    I have a Pro4 surface around and I've been doing all the firmware updates.

    I want the money back or I will sue the rum complaint process in the competent courts.

    They will have to give me back the money and still reimburse me for all the damage they are causing me.

    I've been using docking and working with external monitors.

    Those who still believe the surface pro4 after being replaced will not create problems that say they are happy!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments