Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-24T17:22:27+00:00

    Oh Man.. After having this flicker issues for 5 months, now the charger stopped working.. My Surface pro 4 is not charging, there is something wrong with charger. This is worst tech product ever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-23T13:43:55+00:00

    All of the affected customers are requested to join at the forum for Flickergate issue https://forum.flickergate.com

    Currently we are working on individual basis and there is no place to effectively communicate with each other. 

    With our own forum we will be able to have a single platform to look to for updates about the campaign, volunteering and sharing suggestions. 

    Hope to get the voice spread to other customers and get them on board.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T16:32:21+00:00

    Yes, they are totally avoiding responsibility.  A 90 day warranty on their work to "fix" the issue?  An admission of guilt if I ever heard it.  They don't want all these people coming back every couple months to replace the components that their poorly designed product continually destroys.   Also, $680 is much higher than most other reports, which have been around $450.  The only way I would possibly consider forking over more $ for their handiwork is if it was guaranteed.  You all should demand the same.   

    Mine has been doing this for months.  I've been following this thread for months.  They've provided no solution, I suspect, because it would require them to acknowledge a far reaching problem on a flagship product that would badly damage its profitability, cost a boatload to remedy, and significantly affect stock prices.  Their product doesn't provide sufficient heat dissipation.  Simple as that.  Embarrassingly for them, it's one of the foremost design considerations and they screwed it up.  They're not used to manufacturing hardware that can't be fixed by pushing a bug-fix.  Worse, they're continuing to screw it up with the 2017 SFP4, which touts fanless cooling - ya know, because a quiet computer is better than a functioning one.

    Head here, voice your story, combat Microsoft's apathy.  Like, share, follow:

    https://www.facebook.com/surfacescreenshaking/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-19T13:17:22+00:00

    Choon, you are not alone. I am facing the same, if not worse, problem with Surface Pro 4. My wife comforted me with a HP ENVY. Just caution those that you know to avoid SP4 or totally avoid MS.

    I visited the newly setup MS Surface outlet at Harvey Norman's flagship store at Millennia Walk hoping they can solve my problem. Similarly, I was given a telephone to call. After listening to their rubbish advertisement for 20 minutes, a foreign voice start talking. Cut it short, I was told to pay US 680 for a replacement with only 90 days warranty because my warranty is expired.

    Microsoft is totally avoiding responsibility for this problem.

    I am going tell this story as long as I am still able.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments