Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T10:09:47+00:00

    I just picked up my pro4 used. The glass was broke & replaced poorly. They super glued it on, touch screen didn't work due to a ribbon left unplugged. Unfortunately the ribbon was damaged from being out of place and a new screen is necessary. The display works great otherwise. Beautiful resolution, no bad pixels or anything. I ordered a screen online and it arrived today. Installed it and the lower half of the screen is flickering, & everything looks doubled up. The top half looks perfect though. I see that some others have the same issue with their original screens. Can they just be a bad screen? I went back to the screen with the bad touch & the display is perfect again so I assume that this screen is just a defective part, also the touch didn't work under my finger tip but instead across the screen. The part number matches the screen I have but I cannot be sure what was original equipment. 

    I give you credit for maintaining your sanity under such appalling treatment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T10:08:30+00:00

    Seems like drivers are not the issue as you, Gavin and Patrik suggest.  Hardware problem makes sense.  My son-in-law as IBM tech noted that laptop screens flicker when old ribbon cables are squeezed (as can happen with all-in-one laptops from opening and closing them).  Furthermore, if it was only a driver issue it would have been easy for them to have it fixed by now. 

    MS are offering to replace my SP4 even though it is about 9 months past warranty.  This is good of them but they are dodging every question I ask about whether I will receive a new device or a refurbished device.  The fact that they are dodging the question tells me it will be a refurbished device and I should be assured that it will give no problems.  Looks like I have to go down this path and hope for the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T07:13:33+00:00

    I just picked up my pro4 used. The glass was broke & replaced poorly. They super glued it on, touch screen didn't work due to a ribbon left unplugged. Unfortunately the ribbon was damaged from being out of place and a new screen is necessary. The display works great otherwise. Beautiful resolution, no bad pixels or anything. I ordered a screen online and it arrived today. Installed it and the lower half of the screen is flickering, & everything looks doubled up. The top half looks perfect though. I see that some others have the same issue with their original screens. Can they just be a bad screen? I went back to the screen with the bad touch & the display is perfect again so I assume that this screen is just a defective part, also the touch didn't work under my finger tip but instead across the screen. The part number matches the screen I have but I cannot be sure what was original equipment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T18:23:55+00:00

    I also tried applying the latest drivers, with no change in the flickering.

    In my case, my Surface has "Intel HD Graphics 520".  Previously I had the version 21.20.16.4627.

    I went to the Intel site, downloaded the latest available driver, installed it, still had same flickering problem.

    Just for fun, I also tried the older driver, 10.18.15.4256, from 2015.  The screen still flicker with any of these drivers.

    I am convinced that there is no software problem... it is a hardware problem, related to heating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments