Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-04T23:59:51+00:00

    Researching further about this problem, is it a Surface Pro problem or a Windows 10 problem.  I note on YouTube that going back to 2015 and possibly earlier people have been having screen flicker problems but not only on SPs but on other W10 devices.  

    A very recent video on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Oktvbpseg suggests that the issue on the SP4 is about the screen driver.  It proposes a solution to update the driver which it claims works.  If this is the case why isn't MS promoting that solution? I'm wondering if anyone has tried this solution.

    I'm not sure if the same driver is used for an external screen but, if not, it might explain why the SP4 screen flickers but not the external monitor.  

    Edit:  See comments under YouTube video.  Appears the solution is not working, again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-04T23:10:52+00:00

    Hi,

    I'm facing the same issue. does it have a definitive solution?

    thank you in advance

    The only fix is a replacement device and even these replacement devices exhibit the same problem.

    Sign the petition at flickergate.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-04T23:00:01+00:00

    Edit: CNet, Zdnet, Gizmodo, Engadget have been written to repeatedly about the issue, and are yet to comment or make mention of the issue.

    Probably protecting their information sources and revenue.  I have started to post the flickergate.com URL on their blogs but they may block my comments. Given that so many users are experiencing problems I am surprised that less than 1,000 have signed the petition.  Perhaps they are not aware of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-03T12:38:34+00:00

    It's obviously not a Firmware issue at this point with thousands of complaints. I have taken the same measure to correct the problem on my Surface Pro 4 and there are no firmware solutions. I write you this message on a HP laptop that for $800 has lasted 6 Years. For the price tag of a surface It should be able to work for 4-5 years with proper care before it is obsolete. I was a raving fan of the Surface Pro 4 for my work and recommended it to everyone. After 18 months of owning it the problem showed up and now it's being replaced by a "Best Buy Geek Squad" 2 protection plan. I hear most people without a plan are being charged $450+ to get a refurbished (I don't mind refurbished) replacement for something they already spent $2,000+ on. Also the flip cover key boards have the life span of house fly too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments