Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-18T05:01:06+00:00

    My SP4 i7 started to flicker 2-3 weeks ago. 

    It started to prompt randomly at the bottom of the screen, then I can still ignore it but can't help feeling annoyed. 

    It does nothing when I mouse over, once in a while the flicker will stop. 

    Recently I saw 3-5 pink horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen, accompanied with the flickering and I thought something must be done. 

    After researching, countless hours, I thought that it was software/setting that I recently amended and did factory reset TWICE or THRICE, that didn't cure the issue but a more widespread shaking of the whole screen. 

    Even now with my SP4 start fresh, the issue persists. 

    The intensity seems to increase when the device is charging or the device is heaty, and it seems to be a component or lcd cable flaw. 

    I like the device a lot and hope that the manufacturer can shed us some light on how to fix the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-18T03:21:05+00:00

    The closest Microsoft store is in Nashville, TN, which is 3 hours away. Unfortunately, I don't have time to drive that far, but I'll probably call them to see how they'd handle the situation if I did end up choosing to drive a 6-hour round trip drive to get this thing fixed.

    ouch!

    Yeah that's not feasible....:(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T21:11:21+00:00

    The closest Microsoft store is in Nashville, TN, which is 3 hours away. Unfortunately, I don't have time to drive that far, but I'll probably call them to see how they'd handle the situation if I did end up choosing to drive a 6-hour round trip drive to get this thing fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-17T19:02:09+00:00

    Hi, 

    I have done all these things including installing updated display adapter , updated firmware but problem is same, even on safe mode flickering and blurring  issue appearing. I have also given the remotely access to Microsoft technical expert to check my surface pro they have checked and took necessary setting but problem is same. Microsoft expert gave me service # 1414725224, but neither sent replacement in Pakistan nor refund me invested amount to purchase new one.

    Microsoft is saying that replacement could be in U.A, U.A.E or India, but as per pakistani custom rules no electronics items can be dispatched to any other country without importer and exporter documents. While I have purchased it from Dubai by cash and not imported.

    I have sent two reminder to Microsoft technical expert regarding service # 1414725224 but he is not replying me.

    Please Microsoft look into this matter and if you can not replace the product in Pakistan then refund me surface pro 4 amount after necessary deduction (if any).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments