Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T20:19:54+00:00

    I've owned the surface for a couple years now.  Got it shortly after the surface pro 4's came out.  

    I have tried updating the drivers.  I have also followed the instructions to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.  The problem persists.  It is only the bottom half of the screen that flickers.  It's quite annoying when it occurs.

    any other ideas?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T16:48:23+00:00

    I from Malaysia too, I have done all those things you are doing now, and here the feedback I received from them:

    QUOTE

    Hello,

    Thank you for your email. I am sad to hear that you have not encountered this issue when the device was still in warranty. The 1 year warranty of the device covers hardware fault. After the 1 year warranty, we can still provide you replacement option which is the Out of warranty with a fee.

    By the way, Milanie have escalated this case to us for further assistance and we are the case owner. She have already exhausted all her efforts to help you out from her Tier level including escalating this case to us. We have been finding ways to help you get a free replacement but it all lead up to a paid replacement. Thank you for your understanding.

    Please take note that we have also checked the link you have provided. It was a Microsoft forum and have posted flickering issues. Some of them were able to resolved the issue and some was able to get a replacement unit.

    Sincerely,

    Vin

    Microsoft Surface Escalations Team

    UNQUOTE

    THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T14:16:44+00:00

    No One has actually managed to resolve the Issue. There are some temporary fixes that work for some people for only a short time. In the end they all fail and we are back to a Useless paperweight.

    It is obviously a hardware fault but Microsoft want to ignore it and keep ripping people of for faulty replacements. At least when Apple have a problem they take ownership of the problem and resolve it. 

    Microsoft have a very good product with the Surface, but it has been ruined by faulty components and a complete lack of support from Microsoft.. I will be buying Apple from now on and will also be ditching my XBOX for a playstation. Everyone should avoid Microsoft products and Hit them in the pocket ! Then they might listen !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T14:06:05+00:00

    Slashgear has now picked this up too: https://www.slashgear.com/surface-pro-4-flickering-screen-problem-remains-unsolved-05517952/

    Microsoft's response is just unacceptable. They clearly haven't read all 141 pages of posts on this issue. Again, I have a Client who's Surface Fleet is starting to do the same thing. Insane!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments