Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shaking

Anonymous
2017-01-19T07:47:47+00:00

Hi All,

Update: Flickergate is now having a forum to bring all affected users at a single platform to plan for resolvement of issue. Please join at

 https://forum.flickergate.com

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

  1. A video being played in browser 
  2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it
  3. If I use the touchpad
  4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-11T17:59:00+00:00

Hey Everyone,

Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority.

We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting a screen flicker that cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update.

To support customers affected by this issue, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for up to three years from the date of purchase, free of charge. If you believe your device is experiencing this issue, please visit our Surface Pro 4 screen flicker article for more details.

Bryan [MSFT]

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,779 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T10:46:00+00:00

    Well done! that is a big step in the right direction.

    Cheers from Bangkok

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T09:44:50+00:00

    The Register, a UK based publication has covered the issue in an aggressive story against Microsoft. They have asked MS to comment on it and are waiting for a hear back. 

    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/01/microsoft_q2_fy2018_surface_pro/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T07:38:07+00:00

    I got my faulty flickering SP4 replaced. Guess what, just barely 3 weeks of functioning normally, the replacement unit started to show sign of flickering issue again. The symptom is slightly different, but I suspect it has the same root cause.

    The problem started yesterday evening, with the suspicious 2-3 thin dark lines cluster together running across horizontally  near the top of the screen. My previous SP4 has the same thin lines appearing together with flickering below the lines. But this time, there is no flickering below the lines. However, the entire screen area below the lines appear much darker as if it is covered by a semi-transparent grey color screen protector, even with the brightness adjusted to 100%. And a while later, the middle of the screen start flickering in brightness as if some backlight LEDs are turning on and off rapidly. The image remains stable unlike my previous SP4. However, this brightness flickering can also be stopped by any screen update such as mouse cursor movement. I have since turned on the clock second in the task bar, but I am not confident this temporary fix will last based on previous experience. This usually is the sign of much worse to come, it will soon escalate to the extend that any screen image update becomes useless. 

    However, there is also a new symptom on my replacement unit. Together with the brightness flickering, some images on the screen becomes permanently etched to the screen and superimpose on whatever is shown. It is as if the video memory buffer can't be refreshed. 

    Very frustrating with Microsoft, they don't even have the honesty to offer any advice or any acknowledgement over this issue in this forum thread, even though it has become one of the largest.  

    I am thinking of getting an Acer Switch 7, or Lenovo Carbon X1 tablet, as the 2-in-1 form factor works for me. I will never go back to Microsoft anymore, ever (I have also dropped the plan to purchase X-Box). I guess Microsoft probably does not care even if all customers boycott their Surface products, as they likely are never interested in this hardware business but just to prove there is a market interest in such design, then leave other manufacturers to produce such 2-in-1 for them as they will all be running the new Windows operating system anyway. Software monopoly is where the money is. There is absolutely no justice and fairness at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T06:40:36+00:00

    I also had a Sony Vaio.  Out of warranty the screen delaminated, I paid €560 for a replacement screen and 9 months later it started to delaminate again and they wouldn't replace it for free so I went out and bought a Surface Pro 4.  Sure enough, the screen started vibrating outside warranty and I found this site.  Fortunately, the trick of putting the seconds on the task bar works for me, maybe because I am retired and I don't use the computer in a very heavy manner.  Fingers crossed it continues to keep the vibration at bay.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments