Surface Pro Flex Keyboard Charging issues

Anonymous
2024-08-16T00:45:19+00:00

I've seen multiple other posts on this, but I'm confused as to Microsoft doesn't issue an update.

I have the new Surface Pro 11, with the Flex Keyboard. The keyboard does NOT charge when I attach the keyboard to the device when the device is not plugged into a charger.

The keyboard does NOT charge when the deviced is plugged into a charger, and the keyboard is closed (sleep mode).

It only charges (and even this is sporatic) when the keyboard is attached and the device is plugged into a charger. Sometimes it will charge, other times it will not. I have yet to find a pattern, but that is the only time it will charge (and that is still only about 1/2 of the time).

I have tried all the basic trouble shooting (cleaing the connectors, ESC key for 5 seconds to turn off keyboard, updated all firmware). This is obviously an issue that Microsoft is ignoring.

Any ideas would be welcome, but my thought is that it just doesn't charge like it's supposed to, and nothing is really going to change that...

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-16T18:25:32+00:00

    I've been using the flex keyboard for 5-6 months now with the same frustrating issues as everyone else. I never know when it's actually charging. Most of the time when I pull out my Surface, the keyboard is either dead or less than 10% as if the battery keeps discharging even when the Surface goes to sleep. The keyboard backlight keeps turning off automatically after some time. However, my Surface Slim pen that is stored in the keyboard is always charged up and ready to go at 100%, so obviously it is something to do with this keyboard. Lots of people seem to be having the same issues, yet I have not seen Microsoft fix the issue, or even acknowledge it in the slightest.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T21:41:35+00:00

    I have just got a Flex keyboard, but cant seem to get it to charge either. Have done basic troubleshooting, but wont charge when connected to the Surface and plugged in to mains power...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T22:01:18+00:00

    So - i used the "hold escape" key for 10 seconds, waiting for it to reset and then it started charging.... :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-27T23:02:18+00:00

    In addition to the other things, I thought I remembered somewhere reading that if the surface pro isn't charging, then the keyboard won't. For example, if it's set to stop charging at 79% or so, then you can have it plugged in all day and it may not charge the keyboard even though it's on power all that time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-17T16:35:28+00:00

    I'm having the same problem.

    b

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments