Surface Pro Flex Keyboard Charging issues

Anonymous
2024-08-16T00:45:19+00:00

I've seen multiple other posts on this, but I'm confused as to Microsoft doesn't issue an update.

I have the new Surface Pro 11, with the Flex Keyboard. The keyboard does NOT charge when I attach the keyboard to the device when the device is not plugged into a charger.

The keyboard does NOT charge when the deviced is plugged into a charger, and the keyboard is closed (sleep mode).

It only charges (and even this is sporatic) when the keyboard is attached and the device is plugged into a charger. Sometimes it will charge, other times it will not. I have yet to find a pattern, but that is the only time it will charge (and that is still only about 1/2 of the time).

I have tried all the basic trouble shooting (cleaing the connectors, ESC key for 5 seconds to turn off keyboard, updated all firmware). This is obviously an issue that Microsoft is ignoring.

Any ideas would be welcome, but my thought is that it just doesn't charge like it's supposed to, and nothing is really going to change that...

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-27T17:00:27+00:00

    I guess it's probably time to consult an attorney. This keyboard does not work like it should and was designed. Would any of you be interested in joined a class action lawsuit on this? It's absurd that Microsoft hasn't responded with a legitimate fix.

    Would it be possible to be part of a class action if in the UK? I am furious that such an expensive keyboard just does not work.

    "Simply plug in the keyboard and it will start charging". Completely not true Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-29T01:37:50+00:00

    After months of frustration, I have finally discovered that the keyboard will only charge when using the proprietry Surface Port. It will NOT charge when powering / charging by the Thunderbolt4 port. This is quite the PITA, as all of my locations and chargers are TB4. However, at least I now know the issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-29T12:21:16+00:00

    This isn't the case for me - as - when I have by some small miracle managed to get the keyboard to charge, it has in fact charged when plugged in via the USB-C port, when plugged into a slow charger no less!

    It definitely wont charge when the battery limit is on - so when the surface battery is at or below 50% the keyboard will not charge, even if the surface is plugged in. I have had to turn battery limit off, then plug the surface in, then if it is feeling kind, the keyboard might charge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T19:41:40+00:00

    I found this post today (February 26, 2025) after experiencing similar issues that others are mentioning in the thread, with a newly purchased Surface 11 Pro (the Snapdragon X Plus / LCD version) with the Flex keyboard. One issue I found was that I could not get an accurate idea of the charge state, as the Surface app and Windows' own Bluetooth device manager would always report the same percentage of charge, even when I suspected that charging might actually be happening. Disconnecting the keyboard and holding down Esc to turn it off and then reconnecting it would result in an updated charge percentage, but that number would never get updated.

    After finding this post today, I saw that a February 24 update (75.2130.125.0, "Miscellaneous bug fixes and general improvements") for the Surface app was available. I installed that and now the charge state for the keyboard seems to be updating correctly (both in the app and in the Bluetooth device manager). People may want to try updating to that version to see if it fixes the problem. It might just be coincidence that updating seemed to fix my problem, but it's working at the moment for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T20:01:47+00:00

    I spoke too soon in my last post. After showing my Flex keyboard charge climbing up to 80%, I was then notified that my Flex keyboard (while it was physically connected to the Surface Pro) had a low charge state of 0%. Disconnecting, turning the keyboard off, and then reconnecting it resulted in the Surface app reporting 79% charge. Something is still clearly not right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments