Surface Pro Flex Keyboard Charging issues

Anonymous
2024-08-16T00:45:19+00:00

I've seen multiple other posts on this, but I'm confused as to Microsoft doesn't issue an update.

I have the new Surface Pro 11, with the Flex Keyboard. The keyboard does NOT charge when I attach the keyboard to the device when the device is not plugged into a charger.

The keyboard does NOT charge when the deviced is plugged into a charger, and the keyboard is closed (sleep mode).

It only charges (and even this is sporatic) when the keyboard is attached and the device is plugged into a charger. Sometimes it will charge, other times it will not. I have yet to find a pattern, but that is the only time it will charge (and that is still only about 1/2 of the time).

I have tried all the basic trouble shooting (cleaing the connectors, ESC key for 5 seconds to turn off keyboard, updated all firmware). This is obviously an issue that Microsoft is ignoring.

Any ideas would be welcome, but my thought is that it just doesn't charge like it's supposed to, and nothing is really going to change that...

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-18T03:26:38+00:00

    Same Issue. Holding esc for 5-10 seconds does seem to reboot the keyboard and restart charging. I use the USB4 dock, and it charges (using the esc trick).

    Love the Surface Pro, but it is little stuff like this that ruins the experience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-01T20:19:54+00:00

    I was having this same issue until I noticed that when the laptop was in a clamshell mode and I had it powered / connected to my dock through a USB C connection, it was sometimes getting hot I think because the USB C cable was a little bit crimped.

    When I took care to make the connection carefully, it seems to have abated my keyboard issue.

    Hopefully this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-20T12:57:39+00:00

    April 20th 2025
    I have just started exper6iencing this issue - same as described by everyone else.
    I'm not sure why I escaped for so long, but here we are. Six months after the first report and no word from the people at Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-11T16:06:05+00:00

    is a separate charger out? i noticed sp11 must be on to charge the keyboard and i put it to 100% in the surface app; when computer charges to 100% the keyboard likewise also charges to 100%, then can last about two days

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T14:24:47+00:00

    Thank you for the quick reply. Here is the feedback link:

    https://aka.ms/AAru9ks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments