Docking station 4 - external screen does not wake up after falling in sleep mode

Anonymous
2016-02-22T03:09:28+00:00

I am connecting my Surface Pro 3 on the new docking station (for Surface Pro 3 and 4). And all this is connected to a DELL external monitor.

After some time the Surface Pro 3 falls into sleep mode and if I wait not too long I can wake it up using my Bluetooth mouse; which activates the docking station and the external screen.

But if I wait for too long my mouse cannot wake up my external screen (mouse wakes up Surface Pro 3 for sure and docking is always up) and I need to disconnect my docking station from Surface and reconnect it; then my display is activated again.

Any ideas?

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T16:14:32+00:00

    Same issue here after external screen powers down, but computer has not gone into sleep mode.

    Surface Book - Surface Dock - Dell U3415W

    Upon awakening, Surface Book's screen has become primary & is functional. External monitor does not work and Windows is unable to detect the monitor in display settings.

    Sometimes, simply unplugging the dock and plugging it back into the Book fixes things ... just as it does when the Dock drops all USB connections coming out of sleep mode.

    Other times, the only way to restore the external screen is to reboot.

    This Dock is problematic, to say the least.

    I read on a tech forum that one user worked around the problem by plugging a Toshiba dock into the Surface Dock & using the Toshiba dock for all USB and displays ... solved the problem for him, but that's not a solution for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-24T22:29:34+00:00

    Let me start off by saying I love a lot about the the Surface Book and hope these issues get resolved soon.

    But this issue is extremely frustrating! I use my Surface Book as my work station all day and run two Dell U2713HM monitors out of my dock connected with straight dp. We have a group policy that turns the monitors off rather quickly so this happens many times a day. The only way for me to get my external monitors working through the dock again is to reboot my surface. Rebooting multiple times a day means that I now spend hours now just getting everything back to where I was before the reboot.

    Another issue is the scaling of apps across displays. So many times apps are zoomed in and the only way to fix it is to sign out and then sign back in again. But, you must make sure that you are plugged into the dock when you do or else they will be improperly scaled and you will have to sign out again. It also struggles to completely move all task bar icons and what not to the primary monitor if it's external. It doesn't happen all of the time but at least 50% of the time.

    The bottom line is that the Surface Dock is very inconsistent and extremely frustrating! Then you add in the fact that the Surface Book itself has so many issues and It makes you want to take it out back and run a little Office Space baseball bat action on it... haha. But seriously please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-25T22:44:03+00:00

    just using standard dp. But I can see since my post that many people are complaining. So this seems to be a real bug that need to be fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-28T19:52:00+00:00

    So, is there anyone from MS support interestd to fix this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T20:38:42+00:00

    I am experiencing the exact same problem after the 2/17 firmware updates. All drivers are updated per the latest MS updates.

    I am using a Dell P2715q monitor through the Dock 4 powered by a Surface Book i7 2.6 running Windows 10 build. 10586.104.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments