So everybody here has problems of some sort with the dock (and or Surface). My question is - is this a forum where Microsoft address issues (they have their branding on the site) or is it just a spot to vent your frustrations and feel the empathy of others who are suitably unimpressed (but not surprised) by Microsoft, who have been delivering bugs for over 30 years now?
Docking station 4 - external screen does not wake up after falling in sleep mode
I am connecting my Surface Pro 3 on the new docking station (for Surface Pro 3 and 4). And all this is connected to a DELL external monitor.
After some time the Surface Pro 3 falls into sleep mode and if I wait not too long I can wake it up using my Bluetooth mouse; which activates the docking station and the external screen.
But if I wait for too long my mouse cannot wake up my external screen (mouse wakes up Surface Pro 3 for sure and docking is always up) and I need to disconnect my docking station from Surface and reconnect it; then my display is activated again.
Any ideas?
Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
50 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2016-03-31T06:05:13+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-03-12T17:46:39+00:00 PTB_92: happy for you that you've found a work-around.
Unfortunately for me, I need USB port adapters connected to my Surface Dock in the work I do. Only using the laptop's USB ports pretty much negates the value (?) of having the Dock (it's unfortunate we can't use the mini-DP port on the laptop for the external monitor while the laptop is charging ... we'd be able to do away with the dock).
As a side note: when using the Dock's USB ports and one of the Book's USB ports, USB functionality is fine. If I plug another USB device into the Book's second port (it doesn't matter what kind of USB device), the Book starts having connection issues with the Dock-connected USB devices when waking from sleep ... the only fix being to unplug the Dock, allow the Book to settle and plug the Dock back in.
The Dock remains a problem Microsoft needs to address. Had I known the Dock would be such a detriment to my computing, I'd have purchased a different, stable brand.
-
Anonymous
2016-03-09T15:01:29+00:00 Yes I pretty much love my Surface Pro 4, HOWEVER every time it turns the monitor off I have to use the power button to get it back on again... also now that I have a docking station- if it sleeps the monitors they are off period until reboot...
Microsoft if you can't fix this tell us how to disable the sleep all together so this thing stops wasting our time trying to save a bit of power-- it is stupid beyond compare!!
GIVE US SOMETHING!
-
Anonymous
2016-03-07T00:47:33+00:00 I had the same problems, plus I could not put Surface to sleep with Power/Sleep selection.
I have similar setup, Surface Book, docking station, Dell U3414W and another Dell monitor.
My problem was J5create USB 3.0 Hub connected to docking station USB.
I disconnected it one day ago and so far everything works very well:
- When monitors go off after 20 minutes I am able to wake them up with mouse or keyboard
- When Surface goes to sleep after one hour I am able to wake it up with power button
- Each time after power off Surface is recognizing monitors and I do not need to force power off to try again (sometimes I had to power off docking station as well)
- I can put Surface to sleep with Power/Sleep selection
-
Anonymous
2016-03-05T00:08:28+00:00 Seriously? Hello is anyone from Microsoft listening? Did anyone from Microsoft even test the combination of the Surface Book dock combination with external monitors? I don't see how this could pass as even remotely acceptable. It's absolutely horrible and there's no mention of any of these problems being addressed by Microsoft! The dock is basically a piece of garbage, the concept is amazing but there's no way you can use it as intended unless you want to spend your entire day rebooting so that it will actually work with external monitors. Unbelievable!