Docking station 4 - external screen does not wake up after falling in sleep mode

Anonymous
2016-02-22T03:09:28+00:00

I am connecting my Surface Pro 3 on the new docking station (for Surface Pro 3 and 4). And all this is connected to a DELL external monitor.

After some time the Surface Pro 3 falls into sleep mode and if I wait not too long I can wake it up using my Bluetooth mouse; which activates the docking station and the external screen.

But if I wait for too long my mouse cannot wake up my external screen (mouse wakes up Surface Pro 3 for sure and docking is always up) and I need to disconnect my docking station from Surface and reconnect it; then my display is activated again.

Any ideas?

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-14T22:42:33+00:00

    Surface pro 3, and 2 Surface Pro 4's both exhibit the same behavior when connected to the surface dock.

    Surfaces are fully updated.  I used the surface update utility to update the dock.

    Please read my previous post on this same thread for indepth description on problem.

    Very clearly a dock problem that everyone has.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-14T22:19:58+00:00

    Hello,

    What troubleshooting have you done so far? Have you check if all updates were successfully installed? Which Surface device are you using?

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-14T16:47:58+00:00

    Mine even freezes simply being connected to the surface dock.  If I disconnect my surface from the dock, the monitor starts cycling inputs and eventually freezes (until I pull the plug).  Ofcourse, manually sleeping the monitor is a fix for this.

    Similar to another poster, I just set my monitors to never sleep if connected to the computer, and I be sure to manually sleep when disconnecting the computer.  

    Not a fix, but saves me from pulling the plug on the monitor multiple times a day.

    I just wished Microsoft would acknowledge the issue and fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-14T16:30:13+00:00

    Of note, as with the earlier issue I note that it does not seem to happen if you intentionally sleep the device by hitting the power button.

    If you hit the power button to sleep the device and later come back, the screens seem to respond.

    If the device goes to sleep on its own (or you hit the power button but then do something to disrupt it from going to sleep at that moment and go to sleep on its own later), then it seems to lose the ability to recognize the monitors

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-14T10:24:29+00:00

    I'm in a similar situation to Draconis Travis Immortalis, I'm a developer with two external screens using this setup as a primary machine.  

    I had issues months ago where the system wouldn't properly wake from sleep which were resolved going through the update steps.  It all worked beautifully for months.

    Recently something changed.  When I reconnect my surface to my dock or wake it from sleep the monitors are not recognized by the surface.  I have to power cycle the dock to get it to re-detect the monitors and then it switches fine (driving the two external monitors and switching the surface display off).

    I'm running the latest firmware of the dock which used to work fine so I doubt its the dock.  I suspect it is a recent update of windows which has caused the issue.

    I am currently running update KB3213986 which was installed on Jan 13th.  I suspect this was not the update as the issue has been around for at least a couple weeks.

    The last update before that was KB3206632.  This coincides with the issues and I suspect something in it caused the monitors connected to the dock to no longer be detected on resume from sleep.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments