Docking station 4 - external screen does not wake up after falling in sleep mode

Anonymous
2016-02-22T03:09:28+00:00

I am connecting my Surface Pro 3 on the new docking station (for Surface Pro 3 and 4). And all this is connected to a DELL external monitor.

After some time the Surface Pro 3 falls into sleep mode and if I wait not too long I can wake it up using my Bluetooth mouse; which activates the docking station and the external screen.

But if I wait for too long my mouse cannot wake up my external screen (mouse wakes up Surface Pro 3 for sure and docking is always up) and I need to disconnect my docking station from Surface and reconnect it; then my display is activated again.

Any ideas?

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-14T16:30:13+00:00

    Of note, as with the earlier issue I note that it does not seem to happen if you intentionally sleep the device by hitting the power button.

    If you hit the power button to sleep the device and later come back, the screens seem to respond.

    If the device goes to sleep on its own (or you hit the power button but then do something to disrupt it from going to sleep at that moment and go to sleep on its own later), then it seems to lose the ability to recognize the monitors

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-14T10:24:29+00:00

    I'm in a similar situation to Draconis Travis Immortalis, I'm a developer with two external screens using this setup as a primary machine.  

    I had issues months ago where the system wouldn't properly wake from sleep which were resolved going through the update steps.  It all worked beautifully for months.

    Recently something changed.  When I reconnect my surface to my dock or wake it from sleep the monitors are not recognized by the surface.  I have to power cycle the dock to get it to re-detect the monitors and then it switches fine (driving the two external monitors and switching the surface display off).

    I'm running the latest firmware of the dock which used to work fine so I doubt its the dock.  I suspect it is a recent update of windows which has caused the issue.

    I am currently running update KB3213986 which was installed on Jan 13th.  I suspect this was not the update as the issue has been around for at least a couple weeks.

    The last update before that was KB3206632.  This coincides with the issues and I suspect something in it caused the monitors connected to the dock to no longer be detected on resume from sleep.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-07T00:19:43+00:00

    Sadly, I have to agree.  I recently got a Surface Pro 4, complete with docking station, to replace my desktop as my primary work computer, so I could expand my work capability with some mobility.  The dock is connected to two identical external monitors, and numerous other peripherals typical of an IT professional.  The Surface and dock drive the monitors just fine, except if the device tries to "sleep" the monitors.  I noticed that when this occurs, the monitors will activate and deactivate on an intermittent cycle.  If I time it right, while the monitors are truly asleep, then when I wake the Surface the monitors (usually) come back on with no problems, and my current window arrangement remains unchanged.  However, this can be tricky since the two monitors are not always both active or inactive at the same times, and if either monitor is in an "active" state when I try to wake the Surface, then that monitor will not reinitialize correctly, and the Surface will not detect that monitor at all, rearranging everything  open to just the one remaining monitor.  (if both monitors were "active" when I try to wake the Surface, then no display is initialized at all, and I can't even log back in)  When this happens, I found that physically powering-off the affected monitor, and then turning it back on, will cause the Surface to recognize the monitor and restore display to it...but all my desktop arrangement is still messed-up, causing a lot of annoyance and wasted time as I have to move everything back to the way I like them.  This still holds true even if I restore the connection to both monitors before logging back in.  Basically, I have to wait until both monitors are fully asleep at the same time, before I even so much as tap a key on the keyboard to wake the Surface, otherwise I end up going through all the above hassle. 

    This problem does not occur when rebooting the Surface, or when removing and re-attaching the Surface from the dock.  In these cases, the displays are initialized fine, but removing the Surface from the dock and reconnecting it always sends a hurricane through my desktop (and it does not seem capable of "remembering" my preferred layout when on the dock, vs off the dock), so I'd rather not do that. 

    I'm an IT professional, so ensuring all drivers and Windows Updates are current is a no-brainer and very routine for me.  I even installed the Surface Dock Updater utility as Guia instructed above, and updated the firmware in the dock.  I notice slightly increased general stability of the dock, but this primary display issue remains unchanged.  Still exactly the same behavior when the dock tries to turn off the external displays. 

    Thus far, the only solution I have found is to go into the Power Options, and tell it to never turn off the displays while plugged into external power (since it will never be running on battery while connected to the dock and driving the external displays).  This is not an ideal solution, as it means that I basically have to either shut down the computer when I know I will be away from the desk for a while, or manually turn off the monitors before I go away, otherwise the displays remain fully on & active the entire time I am gone...a very large waste of energy.  Fortunately, I usually take the Surface with me when I leave at the end of my day, so it is only an issue during my workday.  But this would be a larger issue for anyone who has to leave the Surface on and connected for extended periods, such as if there is a long-running task that they need to leave going overnight.  Even small periods throughout the day still add up to increased energy costs because of this issue. 

    In the end, all of these reports point to the same conclusion:  there IS a problem, and Microsoft needs to STOP IGNORING IT or giving us the canned "install all updates" response, and JUST FIX IT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-12-27T15:29:17+00:00

    I have this exact issue.

    I'm on a Surface Pro 4 with a Surface Dock connected to an LG 27MU88-w via a standard DP->mDP cable.

    Here are a few things to note...

    • If I turn the monitor off via its OSD prior to putting my computer to sleep, I can wake it up simply by turning the computer on, turning the monitor on and unplugging and plugging in the surface dock connector to the Surface Pro.
    • If I do not manually turn the monitor off via its OSD, it will continue to cycle inputs looking for an active input, and after an  hour or two, it just turns off.  It will no longer turn on at this point...I have to cycle the power on the monitor, followed by unplugging and plugging in the dock connection to the computer.
      • To be clear, this behavior only happens when it is connected to the Surface Dock.
      • When connected to the Surface Pro 4 directly via DP, the monitor sleeps as expected and turns back on as soon as I wake the computer.
      • It behaves as if the monitor is told there is something still connected (hence the cycling) but clearly there is no active connection.

    I have a dual monitor setup (1 connected to the Surface Dock, and one connected directly to the Surface Pro 4 (ensuring I get 60Hz over dual 4k).  I've tried swapping the monitors to ensure it isn't a faulty monitor and it is not.  There monitor that acts up is only ever the one connected to the Surface Dock.

    I've fully updated the dock using the manual firmware update, as well as fully updated my surface using the offline administrative driver download (oddly, windows update doesn't always detect surface and/or dock updates).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-11-06T16:59:54+00:00

    My only issue is the monitor - because that is all that I sleep. As long as I never sleep the monitor then the dock always works.  For now I have a "blank" screen saver" and sleep equals "never" to work around the problem. Hibernate is a different problem caused by Win10 DPI mismanagement, coming back from hibernate I have to log-off/log-on to reset the DPI on the dock and monitor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments