Bluetooth Surface Laptop 3 disconnects and reconnects for no reason

Anonymous
2019-12-05T17:17:32+00:00

Every day, my bluetooth on my Surface Laptop disconnects and reconnects for no reason.  I am using a microsoft designer mouse and keyboard.  This happens multiple times each day.

I have tried all the standard items,

readding the bluetooth device

restarting the computer

ensure the laptop power settings are correct

making sure all updates have been installed

etc.

Anyone having these issues?  Any fix ?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-24T04:52:26+00:00

    Actually, my problem returned as well. I guess I didn't test it long enough.

    However, I found a solution that so far (more than hour) has stopped my mouse from disconnecting.

    Rather than the Qualcomm power management, I used the power management of the parent device. You can find this by clicking on your mouse in the device manager (or whichever bluetooth device gives you problems) - in my case the Surface Mouse - and then go to View --> By Connection. This gave me the following view:

    The USB Root Hub 3.0 has a power management option that seems to apply to the rest of the tree, and turning it off seems to have fixed it.

    Hope it helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-04T12:20:27+00:00

    Same problem here.  My first unit was replaced for the exact same reason and the new one I got has the same issue.  There is clearly something wrong with SL3. I am using a Sony noise cancelling headset and a Microsoft mouse and both Bluetooth devise are disconnecting and reconnecting many times per hour. 

    I've been persisting in trying to resolve this issue with Microsoft for over 8 weeks and this is what finally worked for me:

      1. Open Device Manager> Select the arrow next to Bluetooth
      2. Double-click the wireless Bluetooth device and select Properties.
      3. Select Power Management and clear the checkbox for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. ***Make sure you check ALL the bluetooth device options***
    • Still in the Device Manager, go to Human Interface Devices, open Propertiesof the Bluetooth HID device, and clear the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Power management.  ***Again, make sure you check ALL the bluetooth device options!***

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-05T12:23:19+00:00

    Exactly tha same issue.  Bought the Surface Laptop 3 two week ago (to replace my previous Surface tablet) and the standard Microsoft Bluetooth 'Surface Mouse'.  Mouse intermittently cuts out.  I have tried the fix posted above and have made sure drivers are up to date.  The mouse continues to cut out.  Any news on a solution?

    Thanks.

    In relation to this last post I tried something which so far (several hours) has resulted in no loss of connection from my Bluetooth Surface mouse.

    1 - Carry out the advice above regarding going to Device Manager - Human Interface Devices - Bluetooth Low Energy GATT... - Power Management  - and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power...

    2 - Go back to Device Manager - Bluetooth - I have found that (at least on my Surface Laptop 3) that the only Bluetooth Device that has an option to alter the Power Management setting is the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth - click that and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save poweroption.

    So far so good.  Hope it works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-11T08:25:13+00:00

    Thanks mike! Disabling the power saver for 'Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth' was the solution for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-02-06T18:25:07+00:00

    I followed this procedure exactly as directed, including restarting the Surface and it immediately disconnected for about 10 seconds when I logged back in. This is definitely an issue with the Surface because it happens with any Bluetooth mouse I use. Currently, though I'm using a Microsoft Modern Mobile Mouse.

    Hi PhillipNaples,

    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community. We are sorry to hear about what you are experiencing on your Surface Laptop.

    Please try these steps then observe if the Microsoft mouse and keyboard still disconnects and reconnects randomly:

                     While the mouse and keyboard is connected/paired, open Device Manager

                     Expand Human Interface Devices

                     Double-click on Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device, select Power Management tab above. Uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then click OK. If you have multiple Bluetooth Low Energy GATT driver, please do this on all of them.

    Restart Surface

    If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

    Kind Regards,

    Marrion Y.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments