Surface Book 2 audio - Crackling sound in Zoom meetings

Anonymous
2020-04-15T05:20:04+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community, 

I am experiencing exactly same issue as highlighted in this post;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-book-2-microphone-starts-crackling-after/0f27fa1b-3bec-4927-8c5b-303522bad118

When I am in a Zoom meeting with 1 person it appears ok - but when a meeting with multiple attendees (hence higher CPU load) are in progress all of sudden other participants get loud crackling noise when I speak, and it has happened on a regular basis.

I have used both

  • the built in mic array, as well as
  • a separate Logitech USB headset & a Plantronics USB headset

but when the crackling jumbled sound starts to occur, it doesn't matter which mic I am using - and it continues on and off.

I have updated the drivers to the latest packages available, but the issue persists.

I have seen a post talking about unchecking "Enable audio enhancements - Signal enhancements" on Reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3dgdkw/how_to_fix_audio_cracklingdistortion_on_surface/

but I don't see that option in my Surface Book 2 13" i5 model (with the latest Windows 10 patches)

However I do notice a checkbox with "Enable Hardware Acceleration". If I uncheck the box what would it do?

Regards,

Jihong

Surface | Surface Book | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-07T12:36:01+00:00

    Unpicked noise suppression still cracking sound.

    Strange thing is it happens with all mic sources, internal Realtek, 3.5mm wired headphones, USB mic and even BT headset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-07T14:05:08+00:00

    It seems from the thread that it's not just a SB2 issue. Its happening with a dell and also a Mac???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-07T23:17:43+00:00

    interesting. I think I heard once of a dell having the problem but never a Mac. My wife owns a mac and we do all of our meetings from our home. she has never had a problem (it is a few years older MacBook Pro) and I've never had a problem with my ipad. so now I'm even more confused.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-22T12:08:11+00:00

    I had the very same issue and it looks like I have fixed it.

    I remember experiencing something similar when I did a refresh of the OS a couple of years ago. I repeated the steps and it has disappeared.

    Here is what I did:

    1. Searched for Surface Book 2 Drivers
    2. Went to the OFFICIAL MS website to get them --> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56261
    3. Downloaded and installed the latest .msi driver pack (They are date and version labeled)
    4. Restarted the SB2
    5. Created a zoom meeting and verified that the sound issue had gone...voila!

    Hope this helps

    Best

    Andrew (asteng88)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-22T12:43:25+00:00

    Thanks @asteng88 I'll give it a try

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments