Surface Book 2 audio - Crackling sound in Zoom meetings

Anonymous
2020-04-15T05:20:04+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community, 

I am experiencing exactly same issue as highlighted in this post;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-book-2-microphone-starts-crackling-after/0f27fa1b-3bec-4927-8c5b-303522bad118

When I am in a Zoom meeting with 1 person it appears ok - but when a meeting with multiple attendees (hence higher CPU load) are in progress all of sudden other participants get loud crackling noise when I speak, and it has happened on a regular basis.

I have used both

  • the built in mic array, as well as
  • a separate Logitech USB headset & a Plantronics USB headset

but when the crackling jumbled sound starts to occur, it doesn't matter which mic I am using - and it continues on and off.

I have updated the drivers to the latest packages available, but the issue persists.

I have seen a post talking about unchecking "Enable audio enhancements - Signal enhancements" on Reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3dgdkw/how_to_fix_audio_cracklingdistortion_on_surface/

but I don't see that option in my Surface Book 2 13" i5 model (with the latest Windows 10 patches)

However I do notice a checkbox with "Enable Hardware Acceleration". If I uncheck the box what would it do?

Regards,

Jihong

Surface | Surface Book | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-28T04:50:07+00:00

    Exactly my problem. Been working on this for six weeks. Have spent hours and hours with Microsoft support. They even sent me a new (same specs) Surface Book 2. I get either the Darth Vader loud weird voice (people say) or the usual crackling and breaking up. I’ve given up,  Once used blue tooth head set/mic and it worked, but not the next time.  It only happens with Zoom. Not Skype. Not sure about Team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-02T12:08:36+00:00

    Unticking Noise suppression seems to have resolved the problem for me for now. Found it in Sound Control Panel - Recording - Microphone Array - Properties - Enhancements - Untick Noise Suppression.

    Hoping it stays that way. Will keep you posted if anything changes.

    Wow that's pretty cool they replaced your machine. Maybe I should try getting one too ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-03T20:40:17+00:00

    Well, that is one fix I don't think I did try.  thank you and let's hope!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-05T15:25:37+00:00

    I have now gone as far as a fresh install of Windows on my Surface Book 2, still the same cracking noise in Zoom and a message about low system resources no matter what mic and headset I use, built in wired or BT. No noise problem with SfB or Teams.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-06T01:12:17+00:00

    Yes, same. Did all that with no permanent fix. In this thread there was a fix offered a couple of days ago. It had to do with unticking noise suppression. I haven’t tested it yet. It fixed it for another Surface user. Of course i have my doubts but let’s see. And, yes, no problem using other platforms.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments