Surface Book 2 audio - Crackling sound in Zoom meetings

Anonymous
2020-04-15T05:20:04+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community, 

I am experiencing exactly same issue as highlighted in this post;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-book-2-microphone-starts-crackling-after/0f27fa1b-3bec-4927-8c5b-303522bad118

When I am in a Zoom meeting with 1 person it appears ok - but when a meeting with multiple attendees (hence higher CPU load) are in progress all of sudden other participants get loud crackling noise when I speak, and it has happened on a regular basis.

I have used both

  • the built in mic array, as well as
  • a separate Logitech USB headset & a Plantronics USB headset

but when the crackling jumbled sound starts to occur, it doesn't matter which mic I am using - and it continues on and off.

I have updated the drivers to the latest packages available, but the issue persists.

I have seen a post talking about unchecking "Enable audio enhancements - Signal enhancements" on Reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3dgdkw/how_to_fix_audio_cracklingdistortion_on_surface/

but I don't see that option in my Surface Book 2 13" i5 model (with the latest Windows 10 patches)

However I do notice a checkbox with "Enable Hardware Acceleration". If I uncheck the box what would it do?

Regards,

Jihong

Surface | Surface Book | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-22T15:47:54+00:00

    Same issue with a Surface Book 2 and Zoom. 

    I have to close/cancel all other applications and not touch the computer for the sound not to crack up. If I touch the computer (move the mouse) or try to do anything else while in a Zoom meeting the sound will eventually crack up and I will get a low resources error.

    I am running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 19619.

    I have tried the Noise suppression trick suggested by australiasquareand it seems to help a little. However, this is not available when I am using for BT headphones. 

    I also notice a slight improvement if I am not docked.

    I have also tried re-installing Zoom and all of the surface diagnostics, re-installing the drivers, all different type of Zoom setting, and even forcing  Zoom to run on the nVidia GPU, etc. nothing seems to resolve this and unfortunately Zoom is being used by more and more people.

    Have completely run out of ideas other than format C:

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-23T01:05:52+00:00

    Interesting. I haven't noticed any correlation with certain activities. I'll pay more attention now! But yeah really not acceptable for such an expensive laptop.

    If it helps you, since posting my original message, I've been using an external microphone plugged into the usb and that seems to have solved the issue. I happened to have access to one which made it easy for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-23T03:58:48+00:00

    Just started using Zoom a few weeks ago.. some for work but  mostly to keep in touch with family and they all complain about terrible sound. When I use my Mac (2011 AirBook) it's not present, not present when I use my phone either. I've tried everything everyone has mentioned above aside from an different external mic.  I'm up to date with patches, just downloaded the newest Zoom client this evening and the sound issue persists...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-26T14:46:03+00:00

    ...

    If it helps you, since posting my original message, I've been using an external microphone plugged into the usb and that seems to have solved the issue. I happened to have access to one which made it easy for me.

    I had an old Jabra 510, tried to use it as an external microphone but problem remained

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-28T04:45:55+00:00

    Exactly the same problem. Microsoft even sent me a replacement for Surface Book 2. No luck.  I have spent HOURS on Microsoft support. I have done everything. Yes, even used an ethernet cable, wired mic, bluetooth, you name it. Always comes back.  Also i’ve had to switch to my ipad in the middle of a meeting or class i’m giving. No problem. My wife uses her Mac zoom throughout the day. No problem. I’ve been accused of a Darth Vader voice but mostly fading out or crackling audio. Very random because not on every call.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments