Surface Book 2 audio - Crackling sound in Zoom meetings

Anonymous
2020-04-15T05:20:04+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community, 

I am experiencing exactly same issue as highlighted in this post;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-book-2-microphone-starts-crackling-after/0f27fa1b-3bec-4927-8c5b-303522bad118

When I am in a Zoom meeting with 1 person it appears ok - but when a meeting with multiple attendees (hence higher CPU load) are in progress all of sudden other participants get loud crackling noise when I speak, and it has happened on a regular basis.

I have used both

  • the built in mic array, as well as
  • a separate Logitech USB headset & a Plantronics USB headset

but when the crackling jumbled sound starts to occur, it doesn't matter which mic I am using - and it continues on and off.

I have updated the drivers to the latest packages available, but the issue persists.

I have seen a post talking about unchecking "Enable audio enhancements - Signal enhancements" on Reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3dgdkw/how_to_fix_audio_cracklingdistortion_on_surface/

but I don't see that option in my Surface Book 2 13" i5 model (with the latest Windows 10 patches)

However I do notice a checkbox with "Enable Hardware Acceleration". If I uncheck the box what would it do?

Regards,

Jihong

Surface | Surface Book | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-19T03:46:34+00:00

    It doesn't work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-19T00:22:07+00:00

    Also i wrote zoom. I think it will be Monday before I get an answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-18T23:58:04+00:00

    I just tried all the above fixes and none of them worked.  I tried to follow one person's instructions where they said, Click on playback and I couldn't even find that.

    Someone suggested this early on, and wondered if the following would help. I think it may be the solution. I tried it once with the person I have the most trouble hearing and the sound breaking up, and it worked also with a third person on, with a bunch of apps running. Before, I had to turn off all my other programs and apps.  (I do have mbps now - one of the things I tried before.  That did help somewhat, but not completely.

    Try:

    Speakers Properties

    Advanced

    Unclick - Allow hardware acceleration of audio with this device

    Someone try it with a bunch of people and let us know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-18T23:09:37+00:00

    There is a fix.

    Follow the instructions to reinstall all of the surface drivers, then do a hardware reset. (Power + vol btn)

    Messing around with the audio enhancements does absolutely nothing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-18T23:01:27+00:00

    i spoke too soon, don't know if my default settings defaulted back but had a zoom call yesterday. was a mess. five time the listener complained about the audio. i'll go back an reinitiate all the fixes and see if anything works. this is pretty ridiculous that MS hasn't found a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments