Surface Book 2 audio - Crackling sound in Zoom meetings

Anonymous
2020-04-15T05:20:04+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community, 

I am experiencing exactly same issue as highlighted in this post;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-book-2-microphone-starts-crackling-after/0f27fa1b-3bec-4927-8c5b-303522bad118

When I am in a Zoom meeting with 1 person it appears ok - but when a meeting with multiple attendees (hence higher CPU load) are in progress all of sudden other participants get loud crackling noise when I speak, and it has happened on a regular basis.

I have used both

  • the built in mic array, as well as
  • a separate Logitech USB headset & a Plantronics USB headset

but when the crackling jumbled sound starts to occur, it doesn't matter which mic I am using - and it continues on and off.

I have updated the drivers to the latest packages available, but the issue persists.

I have seen a post talking about unchecking "Enable audio enhancements - Signal enhancements" on Reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3dgdkw/how_to_fix_audio_cracklingdistortion_on_surface/

but I don't see that option in my Surface Book 2 13" i5 model (with the latest Windows 10 patches)

However I do notice a checkbox with "Enable Hardware Acceleration". If I uncheck the box what would it do?

Regards,

Jihong

Surface | Surface Book | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-24T20:13:00+00:00

    Hi Abby,

    I was one of the original posters of this thread. as i mention above (somewhere) i no longer have the problem it seems, after struggling with this for a number of months. please follow the fixes above. one of them works but not sure which one (sorry).

    But i do have another problem. I don't know if it's a Surface Laptop (2) issue exclusively but drives me crazy.  Cursor freezes/disappears, comes back freezes/disappears then works...or doesn't and I have to reboot. not sure if posting here will get a response. MS hopeless in helping me fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-24T17:03:55+00:00

    I have the exact same problem with a Surface Book 2. I keep hearing "Darth Vader voice" used to describe it as well, which is really not great for work meetings and participation-based classes. @Marrion_Y , please tell us Microsoft is working on addressing this issue! It's completely unacceptable with the ubiquity of Zoom in today's virtual environment. (For now I'll try the suggested adjustments and hope for the best). Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-19T16:38:14+00:00

    I believe these are the fixes i did and finally found they worked. I hope others on this thread find that they have the same result. Would like to know since i was one of the original posters on this issue and went on for months with even Microsoft replacing my Surface...to no avail. I do alot of meetings with zoom - one on one, classes and workshops - and haven’t had any complaints for some time now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-19T12:12:40+00:00

    You can disable the audio enhancements in the sound settings of your surface, but you should also try disabling Zoom's microphone settings NOT to auto-adjust the volume.

    Click on the upward arrow next to the mic/mute button to go to audio settings, and you will see a small checkbox under the microphone volume slider. Uncheck the box and see if that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-19T05:42:32+00:00

    I did wish you luck!  Now months later they’re still sending me emails saying they’ll get to my ticket soon. “Due to high demand becasue of Covid blah blah blah.

    interesting thing is I don’t seem to have the problem anymore....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments