Surface Book 2 audio - Crackling sound in Zoom meetings

Anonymous
2020-04-15T05:20:04+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community, 

I am experiencing exactly same issue as highlighted in this post;

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-book-2-microphone-starts-crackling-after/0f27fa1b-3bec-4927-8c5b-303522bad118

When I am in a Zoom meeting with 1 person it appears ok - but when a meeting with multiple attendees (hence higher CPU load) are in progress all of sudden other participants get loud crackling noise when I speak, and it has happened on a regular basis.

I have used both

  • the built in mic array, as well as
  • a separate Logitech USB headset & a Plantronics USB headset

but when the crackling jumbled sound starts to occur, it doesn't matter which mic I am using - and it continues on and off.

I have updated the drivers to the latest packages available, but the issue persists.

I have seen a post talking about unchecking "Enable audio enhancements - Signal enhancements" on Reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3dgdkw/how_to_fix_audio_cracklingdistortion_on_surface/

but I don't see that option in my Surface Book 2 13" i5 model (with the latest Windows 10 patches)

However I do notice a checkbox with "Enable Hardware Acceleration". If I uncheck the box what would it do?

Regards,

Jihong

Surface | Surface Book | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-06T02:33:37+00:00

    Also what I have noticed over the past few months is that when I use an external monitor connected via USB-C->HDMI hence having another audio device appear through HDMI, there's more chance of sound problems.

    Nowadays I disconnect the HDMI cable when I join zoom, and the problem appears to have subsided.

    If you have an external monitor with HDMI or DP, try Zoom without them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-06T02:12:23+00:00

    Definitely did not work for me in the past. What has worked seems to be in the response just above in Australiasquare where you change the sound settings in both zoom and on your pc.  Haven’t had any complaints since then.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-05T23:43:53+00:00

    I have read in a different thread that unplugging the power cable works as a temporary fix. This seems to work for me when I am experiencing the problem. Not ideal -- but you have to charge the Surface Book in between Zoom calls then it seems to work fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-21T01:49:51+00:00

    and I have a paid subscription too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-20T20:17:47+00:00

    I will let you know.  I am in the "queue' for what it is worth.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments