Smart Charging option disappeared from Surface app

Anonymous
2024-03-25T06:07:47+00:00

I am using a Surface Laptop Studio (model 12964 i7). My smart charging is working and the battery is recharging to 80% - icon over the battery is there. When I travel I have been going into the Surface app and changing the charge to 100% option that always used to pop up once I went in the app. Recently when going into the app there is no longer the 'smart charging' option so I am unable to change the setting and charge to full. the surface app version is 61.24020.115.0. I have tried reinstalling the surface app but its still not showing up.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-13T16:34:08+00:00

Updated 9/9/2024

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively investigating. While we are investigating and if the "Battery & charging" option is missing in the Surface app, please update the Surface app to newest version 74.8150.129.0 or later which is available in the Microsoft Store app. To update the Surface app, open the Microsoft Store app, select Downloads, select Get Updates.

If you still are not able to see the "Battery & charging" option and you are running version 74.8150.129.0 or later, try to reset the Surface app by clicking the Windows Start menu, click Settings. Within Windows Settings, click Apps, click Installed apps and then for the Surface app click "...", select Advanced options, click the Reset button in the Reset section.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility while we are investigating.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-07T08:15:20+00:00

    I have the same issue - I am running Surface App ver 74.9120.118.0 on a Surface Pro 9 and have reset the Surface App; still no Battery & charging option.

    Am now travelling and have 20% less battery life to operate with.

    There must be another way - such as a command line - to disable this option.

    Please provide this.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-19T08:48:57+00:00

    Isn't this total bullshit? My Surface Go 4 has no way to disable 'Smart charging', and always stuck on 80%.

    This is false advertising as i cannot even use the full capacity of my battery, something that i've paid for. Where is the option in the app? I also cannot update to the latest version as stated above. Running Windows 11 LTSC 24H2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-20T21:54:46+00:00

    hi there, I've the same problem but a bit worse!

    my surface app also does not have that option to turn off smart charging. So I decided to let it go below 20% and I face new problem! charger didn't charge my surface laptop 3 at all! I had to buy pd charger to charge it with type c port! now my surface charger is kinda useless! i don't know what else to do. the charger works well with other surface devices but not mine anymore ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-31T16:28:02+00:00

    Hope this is helpful, but I originally turned this feature on in UEFI settings on boot.

    This is a setting that can only be changed at startup.

    Modify Surface UEFI on an individual device

    1. Turn off the device then: Press Power + Vol Up when turning on the device.
    2. Choose Boot configuration > Advanced Options, and toggle Enable Battery Limit to On/Off.

    Image

    EDIT: option is available on Surface laptop 5 and above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments