Smart Charging option disappeared from Surface app

Anonymous
2024-03-25T06:07:47+00:00

I am using a Surface Laptop Studio (model 12964 i7). My smart charging is working and the battery is recharging to 80% - icon over the battery is there. When I travel I have been going into the Surface app and changing the charge to 100% option that always used to pop up once I went in the app. Recently when going into the app there is no longer the 'smart charging' option so I am unable to change the setting and charge to full. the surface app version is 61.24020.115.0. I have tried reinstalling the surface app but its still not showing up.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-13T16:34:08+00:00

Updated 9/9/2024

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively investigating. While we are investigating and if the "Battery & charging" option is missing in the Surface app, please update the Surface app to newest version 74.8150.129.0 or later which is available in the Microsoft Store app. To update the Surface app, open the Microsoft Store app, select Downloads, select Get Updates.

If you still are not able to see the "Battery & charging" option and you are running version 74.8150.129.0 or later, try to reset the Surface app by clicking the Windows Start menu, click Settings. Within Windows Settings, click Apps, click Installed apps and then for the Surface app click "...", select Advanced options, click the Reset button in the Reset section.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility while we are investigating.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-11T20:04:05+00:00

    I have tried every option recommended including reinstallation of the application and multiple restarts, but the charging option is still not available. This is inexcusably frustrating due to the fact that I have a full schedule of field work next week. Please advise on how to restore this feature to the Boat Anchor

    Surface Pro app.

    Better yet, please advise how Smart Charging can be permanently disabled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-11T23:39:49+00:00

    I am running version 75.3170.114.0 and is no where to be found. Talked to our Network admin and is not something we set for our environment. It feels like it has been removed on purpose. The reset did not work for me either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-16T17:48:34+00:00

    Same app version for me and the option has disappeared. Have been dealing with this nonsense over the past 2 months while traveling. Like let me choose if I want smart charging or not, don't default it for me. More like Dumb charging, far from smart at this point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-16T18:00:25+00:00

    I can't wait to turn in my Surface Laptop when I retire in a few months and rid myself of this nonsense. I will never request or buy another Surface (I bought my wife one 2 yrs ago) again.

    The lack of options to allow an owner to control this setting is absolutely astounding. Dig deep enough and you will find registry/bios edits to disable this "feature" permanently. Not posting here, to avoid the wrath of Microsoft, but it's out there....

    Dell laptops all the way from now until I die.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments