Smart Charging option disappeared from Surface app

Anonymous
2024-03-25T06:07:47+00:00

I am using a Surface Laptop Studio (model 12964 i7). My smart charging is working and the battery is recharging to 80% - icon over the battery is there. When I travel I have been going into the Surface app and changing the charge to 100% option that always used to pop up once I went in the app. Recently when going into the app there is no longer the 'smart charging' option so I am unable to change the setting and charge to full. the surface app version is 61.24020.115.0. I have tried reinstalling the surface app but its still not showing up.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-13T16:34:08+00:00

Updated 9/9/2024

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively investigating. While we are investigating and if the "Battery & charging" option is missing in the Surface app, please update the Surface app to newest version 74.8150.129.0 or later which is available in the Microsoft Store app. To update the Surface app, open the Microsoft Store app, select Downloads, select Get Updates.

If you still are not able to see the "Battery & charging" option and you are running version 74.8150.129.0 or later, try to reset the Surface app by clicking the Windows Start menu, click Settings. Within Windows Settings, click Apps, click Installed apps and then for the Surface app click "...", select Advanced options, click the Reset button in the Reset section.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility while we are investigating.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-07T15:50:11+00:00

    Have there been any updates on this issue? I have version 74.11070.147.0, performed a reset and still no battery section to turn off smart charging.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-07T15:58:51+00:00

    Have there been any updates on this issue? I have version 74.11070.147.0, performed a reset and still no battery section to turn off smart charging.

    No updates. I just purchased a new Microsoft Surface and it has the same issue. It's so frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T21:18:09+00:00

    Updated 9/9/2024

    Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively investigating. While we are investigating and if the "Battery & charging" option is missing in the Surface app, please update the Surface app to newest version 74.8150.129.0 or later which is available in the Microsoft Store app. To update the Surface app, open the Microsoft Store app, select Downloads, select Get Updates.

    If you still are not able to see the "Battery & charging" option and you are running version 74.8150.129.0 or later, try to reset the Surface app by clicking the Windows Start menu, click Settings. Within Windows Settings, click Apps, click Installed apps and then for the Surface app click "...", select Advanced options, click the Reset button in the Reset section.

    Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility while we are investigating.

    I'm on version 75.1090.118.0 on my Surface (model: MMD0F0039A23020) and I reset its settings as directed. Still can't see battery options to turn off smart charging.

    Sure is happy to try to sell me stuff though. All the ads work. /s

    Update 2025-02-10: I needed this to work because I'm going on a business trip, out of desperation, I logged out of the Surface app and it immediately gave me the option to turn off smart charging. So maybe it was my company's policy not allowing me to turn it off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-04T23:56:00+00:00

    Just downloaded latest surface app and same problem i thought my battery had been bad for so long. I need the ability to turn this off. Microsoft answers are not working fix the issue. I have a surface studio

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments