Smart Charging option disappeared from Surface app

Anonymous
2024-03-25T06:07:47+00:00

I am using a Surface Laptop Studio (model 12964 i7). My smart charging is working and the battery is recharging to 80% - icon over the battery is there. When I travel I have been going into the Surface app and changing the charge to 100% option that always used to pop up once I went in the app. Recently when going into the app there is no longer the 'smart charging' option so I am unable to change the setting and charge to full. the surface app version is 61.24020.115.0. I have tried reinstalling the surface app but its still not showing up.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-08-13T16:34:08+00:00

Updated 9/9/2024

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively investigating. While we are investigating and if the "Battery & charging" option is missing in the Surface app, please update the Surface app to newest version 74.8150.129.0 or later which is available in the Microsoft Store app. To update the Surface app, open the Microsoft Store app, select Downloads, select Get Updates.

If you still are not able to see the "Battery & charging" option and you are running version 74.8150.129.0 or later, try to reset the Surface app by clicking the Windows Start menu, click Settings. Within Windows Settings, click Apps, click Installed apps and then for the Surface app click "...", select Advanced options, click the Reset button in the Reset section.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility while we are investigating.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-18T09:31:33+00:00

    No idea if the repair and reset described above helped or not. I tried that and it seemed to have no effect. Then I clicked the feedback button and sent a report that way. Immediately after that, the missing section started appearing and disappearing seemingly at random. Weird, but I was able to click on it and turn off smart charging. Microsoft, you are doing me a confuse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-16T16:37:09+00:00

    Hi Keith and others,

    Can you ensure that you have the current version installed, that would be 61.24040.89.0. For additional troubleshooting, you may want to try to reset the app as well. This is under Settings > Apps > Installed apps. Then select Advanced options > Reset.

    Image

    By the way, Smart Charging was moved into a Battery & charging section in the Surface app. So hoping you are looking there now.

    If you still are not seeing it, please let us know here. Also, it is helpful to have the report directly from the device that is affected. To do this, please select the feedback icon in the lower right corner of the app and select Give Feedback.

    Image

    Hope this helps,

    Greg

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-16T15:38:23+00:00

    Same issue here. Very limiting when I need to go to all day meetings and this option is gone. PLEASE remove Smart Charing all together or MAKE IT EASY To change this setting (on the battery itself!).

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-15T03:29:45+00:00

    YES, Same issue here, you used to be able to go into the App and turn it off - that option has disappeared from the list altogether. How do we turn OFF Smart Charging now??

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments