True, but it still boggles the mind that MS dropped the ball on arguably the most critical feature of the surface. say what you will about apple products but my mid 2015 mbp ssd doesn't have this issue at all. I'm looking forward to the new x1 also... but overall I'm happy with the surface so far.
Extremely slow SSD in Surface Book
I am experiencing very poor SSD writing performance in my Surface Book. It's i5 dGPU 8GB RAM and 256GB storage model. Installing applications and copying files have been really slow. Windows 10 is updated to the latest. Has anyone having the same?
Disabling BitLocker slightly helped (10~20%) but not very much.
Surface | Surface Book | Performance and maintenance
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2016-01-05T00:22:48+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-01-05T00:23:43+00:00 Man I feel your pain, for that amount of money i'd be pretty ticked off
-
Anonymous
2016-01-07T02:05:25+00:00 Mate, even the 2013 MacBooks don't have this problem. :(
This is a open-shut case of "cutting corners to save costs". There are no "ifs, ands, buts" about this situation. I'm inclined to think the same about the 2012 Marvell WiFi chips they're using (which are coincidentally found in the Xbox One....).
Saving costs...on a $1500 laptop. But, it's OK: there's been a lot of negative press about the Surface Book about its launch issues (and I think enough anecdotal experience, too, among early adopters). I think it'll motivate Microsoft somewhat. Panos Panay already acknowledged his mistakes internally (as related by the Microsoft CMO on "Windows Weekly" on their last podcast in 2015).
If the whole detach thing is your vibe, the SB's got excellent potential. And, the 512GB/1TB drives are pretty fast. Just the 128GB/256GB drives are anachronisms in 2015 and now 2016.
-
Anonymous
2016-01-15T00:00:18+00:00 Any one had any luck with getting Microsoft to admit there is a problem with the SSD choice?
I am sick of this **** from Microsoft, They release product before they truly are ready for general use, They sell a $2000 laptop with the moniker that its is "The best most powerful laptop yet" but then fit it with a SSD from the stone age.
What are you thinking Microsoft!
-
Anonymous
2016-01-15T16:12:58+00:00 Hi guys, someone tells me to install the Samsung NVMe driver and it does work ( at least for the AS SSD Benchmark ).
So it's like this now:
Here's the link:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html
(Although it says 950 Pro, just ignore that)