Extremely slow SSD in Surface Book

Anonymous
2015-10-27T23:45:14+00:00

I am experiencing very poor SSD writing performance in my Surface Book. It's i5 dGPU 8GB RAM and 256GB storage model. Installing applications and copying files have been really slow. Windows 10 is updated to the latest. Has anyone having the same?

Disabling BitLocker slightly helped (10~20%) but not very much.  

Surface | Surface Book | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-03T00:47:22+00:00

    Well, I don't see things so grave.  I'll still buy Surface for my next one.  A Samsung SSD doesn't destroy anything.

    Sure. Really, nobody but very discerning buyers & storage-heavy users need to be concerned with this thread.

    I mean, I don't think most people care that Microsoft never patched the hardware defect in the old-gen Samsung TLC SSDs in the Surface Pro 3 (though Dell and other OEMs did), nor that Microsoft quietly sent faster and theoretically longer-lasting MLC SSDs to only reviewers, nor that they consider TLC worthy of 2015's "Ultimate Laptop". 

    I mean, it's as if Microsoft put USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 on the Surface Book. It would affect almost nobody.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-03T02:03:33+00:00

    Thank you very much for that information.  I have the Surface Book i7/16GB/512GB so I would have the "faster" drive.  For what I'm doing with my file sizes, the writing speed differences in the drives would be measured in just fractions of seconds and for all practical purposes would be negligible.

    I certainly don't like that Microsoft gave me the slower drive, but I doubt that, for what I do, I would ever be able to tell the difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-26T21:39:21+00:00

    @Seug Joonyi> You are talking about SATA SSDs. The SSD that comes with Surface Book and Surface 4 Pro is an M.2 Nvme interface. For the same model, Microsoft sources it from Samsung and Toshiba. Out of the box the Toshiba is 3X faster. The Samsung 950 pro 512 is the Samsung model in Surface Book. This ssd is supposed to have 1500 Mbps/s sequential write and 2500 Mbps Sequential read. Even in a worst case scenario it should not drop below 950 Mbps write.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/samsung-950-pro-ssd-review-256gb-512gb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T18:05:36+00:00

    Am I the only one who saw 4ms access time in this benchmark?? Like old HDD's from fifteen years ago? Thats not a big problem?? I tried deleting my Windows.old catalog and didnt get it to end in 2,5 hours. I bought Surface pro i7 in europe for 1800$. I'm speechless about some ignorance here. Thats my benchmarks:

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments