Extremely slow SSD in Surface Book

Anonymous
2015-10-27T23:45:14+00:00

I am experiencing very poor SSD writing performance in my Surface Book. It's i5 dGPU 8GB RAM and 256GB storage model. Installing applications and copying files have been really slow. Windows 10 is updated to the latest. Has anyone having the same?

Disabling BitLocker slightly helped (10~20%) but not very much.  

Surface | Surface Book | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-15T00:00:18+00:00

    Any one had any luck with getting Microsoft to admit there is a problem with the SSD choice? 

    I am sick of this **** from Microsoft, They release product before they truly are ready for general use, They sell a $2000 laptop with the moniker that its is "The best most powerful laptop yet" but then fit it with a SSD from the stone age. 

    What are you thinking Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-07T02:05:25+00:00

    Mate, even the 2013 MacBooks don't have this problem. :(

    This is a open-shut case of "cutting corners to save costs". There are no "ifs, ands, buts" about this situation. I'm inclined to think the same about the 2012 Marvell WiFi chips they're using (which are coincidentally found in the Xbox One....).

    Saving costs...on a $1500 laptop. But, it's OK: there's been a lot of negative press about the Surface Book about its launch issues (and I think enough anecdotal experience, too, among early adopters). I think it'll motivate Microsoft somewhat. Panos Panay already acknowledged his mistakes internally (as related by the Microsoft CMO on "Windows Weekly" on their last podcast in 2015).

    If the whole detach thing is your vibe, the SB's got excellent potential. And, the 512GB/1TB drives are pretty fast. Just the 128GB/256GB drives are anachronisms in 2015 and now 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T00:23:43+00:00

    Man I feel your pain, for that amount of money i'd be pretty ticked off

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T00:22:48+00:00

    True, but it still boggles the mind that MS dropped the ball on arguably the most critical feature of the surface.  say what you will about apple products but my mid 2015 mbp ssd doesn't have this issue at all.  I'm looking forward to the new x1 also... but overall I'm happy with the surface so far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-04T22:16:23+00:00

    For most consumers, 100MB/s sequential writes are no issue. But, I'm not paying that much for a TLC SSD in 2016, lol.

    Thankfully, CES 2016 is here. The Thinkpad X1 Yoga looks like a fantastic replacement for the Surface Book: 14" OLED screen, Wacom pen, the fastest consumer SSDs (the old X1 Carbon used the Samsung SM951), no finicky power-draining dGPU, 3 USB ports, Windows Hello fingerprint reader, half a pound lighter, no detach/reattach to use it as a full-power tablet, and Intel's newest 2015 wireless chips (instead of the 2012 Marvell chips that coincidentally are also used in the Xbox One....ewwww).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments