Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 on screen keyboard

Anonymous
2015-07-30T21:45:08+00:00

Is anyone else having issues with the on screen keyboard for your Surface Pro 3 after the Windows 10 update? When I go to tablet mode an enter an app, the on screen keyboard will not pop up. An example is in the weather app. When I touch the field to input a city name, the on screen keyboard is nowhere to be found. I have to connect the type cover back to my Pro 3.

Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-04T16:04:15+00:00

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 10 on our Surface. 

Regarding the onscreen keyboard, the information I have is that, by design, you must manually open the onscreen keyboard by selecting the keyboard from the taskbar.

MODERATOR EDIT:  If you don't see the icon, right-click (or press and hold) the taskbar and make sure the Show touch keyboard button has a check mark next to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-12T22:54:28+00:00

can't figure out how to get my on-screen keyboard to come back on/up after installing Windows 10.

Give an example of how you think you need it.  Do you have your Surface in Tablet mode?  Do you have a pen?  You could go to the Windows Ease of Access item in the All Apps menu (hence obscurely listed under the W) and open the On Screen Keyboard (OSK).   Then provided you never close it but at most only Minimize it you will always be able to access the OSK via the Task pane (e.g. with a swipe from the left and a tap on that thumbnail)

Good luck

Robert


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-07T20:27:23+00:00

    As soon as it is removed, the little icon for bringing up the keyboard disappears.

    I found it.  It's that goofy Tablet option for the Taskbar.  So, not only does it hide your Taskbar icons but it also makes the Touch Keyboard inaccessible.  Great thinking.  I can visualize the use-case analysis:  Tablet user: Modern UI: TK appears when needed:  Ergo, no need for a keyboard!

    But what about the Language settings in the Charms bar?  What did they do with them?  Can we customize the Action Center buttons?  Those need to be put back there.   In fact, I can recall earlier in the preview that there were lots more opportunities to "pin" settings dialogs to the Start screen.  How about letting us pin anything from the Settings "app" to the Action Center button array?

    Oh.  In Typing there is also  Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached to your device.  Great.  But what if the "windowed app" doesn't have an input area and you want to be able to use some keyboard shortcuts?  More missing use cases.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-09T22:49:49+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    It used to work just fine but after the most recent Windows Update, at the logon screen for Windows 10, the touch keyboard does not appear when I go to put in my password.

    I have to connect my physical Type Cover keyboard to login every time.  That's frustrating.

    Of course, once I have logged in, I can disconnect the physical Type Cover and use the keyboard icon in the Task Bar to enter text when needed.  But there is no option for a keyboard button at the login screen.

    Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-10T07:07:24+00:00

    Could you please advise help me.

    My Pro Surfaced was fine with 8.1 , since upgrade to Win 10, when I bring the keyboard up it is tiny.  Like on a mobile phone..............how can I get it back to full width?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments