Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 on screen keyboard

Anonymous
2015-07-30T21:45:08+00:00

Is anyone else having issues with the on screen keyboard for your Surface Pro 3 after the Windows 10 update? When I go to tablet mode an enter an app, the on screen keyboard will not pop up. An example is in the weather app. When I touch the field to input a city name, the on screen keyboard is nowhere to be found. I have to connect the type cover back to my Pro 3.

Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-04T16:04:15+00:00

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 10 on our Surface. 

Regarding the onscreen keyboard, the information I have is that, by design, you must manually open the onscreen keyboard by selecting the keyboard from the taskbar.

MODERATOR EDIT:  If you don't see the icon, right-click (or press and hold) the taskbar and make sure the Show touch keyboard button has a check mark next to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-12T22:54:28+00:00

can't figure out how to get my on-screen keyboard to come back on/up after installing Windows 10.

Give an example of how you think you need it.  Do you have your Surface in Tablet mode?  Do you have a pen?  You could go to the Windows Ease of Access item in the All Apps menu (hence obscurely listed under the W) and open the On Screen Keyboard (OSK).   Then provided you never close it but at most only Minimize it you will always be able to access the OSK via the Task pane (e.g. with a swipe from the left and a tap on that thumbnail)

Good luck

Robert


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T01:07:18+00:00

    Hey guys I have a Surface Pro 3 - Everything updated to the lastest firmware 19/2/2016

    I have Windows 10 pro.

    Here is the problem, actually there are 2.

    1. So I went into settings - device - typing.

    I got two options for SPELLING

    and only three options for TYPING i.e. text suggestions, adding space after text suggestion or when double tap.

    But I cannot find any other options to automatically pop up the keyboard or to disable the sounds when I tap on the touch keyboard

    =<..!!!!!!

    1. I installed Chinese keyboard as well. Sometimes browsing after a while the "EN" Icon on the bottom right of taskbar disappears leaving me with only a keyboard icon. I click on that but no onscreen keyboard shows up! I only use surface pro 3 with a mouse so that leaves me a bit frustrated =(

    Gladly appreciate any advice !

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T13:28:33+00:00

    I received a new replacement Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. When I'm in tablet mode and click into a text box. For example, using Chrome if I click in the Google search box the keyboard doesn't popup. I know I can manually pull up the keyboard from the task bar, but this is annoying. On my old Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 the on screen keyboard always popped up when I touched into a text box. I've been through all my keyboard and typing settings I know of and searched for answers all over the internet and no luck. Can anyone help me resolve this keyboard issue. it is very aggravating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-10T18:52:03+00:00

    I am posting this again since I haven’t received any helpful suggestions!

    After upgrading to Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 (and a subsequent update - I don't know if a subsequent update is responsible for this problem) the image of the touch keyboard is corrupted. There are no character keys displayed instead I see icons for "add space", "add line", "delete" and "change language", also "dock" and "close".  The issue is not to obtain a display when needed; the issue is that an incorrect image is displayed. I can obtain a correct keyboard image from "ease of access & keyboard" but selecting the keyboard icon in the taskbar will produce a useless image.

    How can I correct this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments