Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 on screen keyboard

Anonymous
2015-07-30T21:45:08+00:00

Is anyone else having issues with the on screen keyboard for your Surface Pro 3 after the Windows 10 update? When I go to tablet mode an enter an app, the on screen keyboard will not pop up. An example is in the weather app. When I touch the field to input a city name, the on screen keyboard is nowhere to be found. I have to connect the type cover back to my Pro 3.

Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-04T16:04:15+00:00

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 10 on our Surface. 

Regarding the onscreen keyboard, the information I have is that, by design, you must manually open the onscreen keyboard by selecting the keyboard from the taskbar.

MODERATOR EDIT:  If you don't see the icon, right-click (or press and hold) the taskbar and make sure the Show touch keyboard button has a check mark next to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-12T22:54:28+00:00

can't figure out how to get my on-screen keyboard to come back on/up after installing Windows 10.

Give an example of how you think you need it.  Do you have your Surface in Tablet mode?  Do you have a pen?  You could go to the Windows Ease of Access item in the All Apps menu (hence obscurely listed under the W) and open the On Screen Keyboard (OSK).   Then provided you never close it but at most only Minimize it you will always be able to access the OSK via the Task pane (e.g. with a swipe from the left and a tap on that thumbnail)

Good luck

Robert


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-10T00:33:24+00:00

    holding the power and volume down button To restart and reset worked for me.

    However,  the osk option, which I prefer, locks up and is problematic.

    Any revelations regarding That?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-10T02:54:45+00:00

    Thanks. This worked for me when logged in. But when I need to log in again the keyboard doesn't pop up.  I need to attach the keyboard to sign in.  when touching the password field it does enable but doesn't present the keyboard.  I upgraded to 10 a couple of weeks ago and it worked after that then stopped. Any ideas?  thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-11T04:03:04+00:00

    I have the same problem - have to click the stupid keyboard icon THREE TIMES to get a proper on-screen keyboard up and then I can't minimise it, so have to click it three times EVERYTIME. Nice one Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments