Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 on screen keyboard

Anonymous
2015-07-30T21:45:08+00:00

Is anyone else having issues with the on screen keyboard for your Surface Pro 3 after the Windows 10 update? When I go to tablet mode an enter an app, the on screen keyboard will not pop up. An example is in the weather app. When I touch the field to input a city name, the on screen keyboard is nowhere to be found. I have to connect the type cover back to my Pro 3.

Any suggestions on this? Thanks.

Surface | Accessories | Surface Type Cover

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-04T16:04:15+00:00

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Windows 10 on our Surface. 

Regarding the onscreen keyboard, the information I have is that, by design, you must manually open the onscreen keyboard by selecting the keyboard from the taskbar.

MODERATOR EDIT:  If you don't see the icon, right-click (or press and hold) the taskbar and make sure the Show touch keyboard button has a check mark next to it.

Thanks,

Josh

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-12T22:54:28+00:00

can't figure out how to get my on-screen keyboard to come back on/up after installing Windows 10.

Give an example of how you think you need it.  Do you have your Surface in Tablet mode?  Do you have a pen?  You could go to the Windows Ease of Access item in the All Apps menu (hence obscurely listed under the W) and open the On Screen Keyboard (OSK).   Then provided you never close it but at most only Minimize it you will always be able to access the OSK via the Task pane (e.g. with a swipe from the left and a tap on that thumbnail)

Good luck

Robert


Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-19T14:25:22+00:00

    Wow . So simple, but not intuitive,but at last l

    am writing this note.

     . Now let's see if it sticks after restarts

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-23T11:24:51+00:00

    Thank you for your response. You are spot on with your solution. I used to switch between pen and fingers which effected the onscreen keyboard the same prior to Windows 10. Now I just use my finders.

    Again many thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-08T14:33:06+00:00

    Loaded windows 10 on surface pro 3 yesterday and it worked ok.  This morning when it booted up it did not find my keyboard and the tablet keyboard did not come up so I couldnt log in.  Tried to restart and unit went dead and will not fire up at all now?  Anyone have a big  hammer so I can "adjust" it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments