there still needs to be a way for the user to say, give me a keyboard onscreen please.
Speech recognition? "Show keyboard." Actually it looks like that is broken (or WIP) too.
It is particularly an issue if the device goes to sleep in tablet mode. The only way to sign it back in is with the picture, as the keyboard does not appear even when there is a cursor waiting.
I can only reproduce that when I leave the OSK running. It is a usability defect which has been carried over from W8: we can't have both the TIP and the OSK at the same time. In fact, that worked for me too, so now I'm not sure what you could be doing.
To me as an ex programmer, this behaviour of the onscreen icon being there when the keyboard is attached and not there when it is removed looks suspiciously like there is a NOT missing somewhere.....
OK. I did see that one. Ridiculous. But this whole Touch UX is riddled with disappointing poorly designed use-case implementations (assuming any significant use-case analysis was done before coding.) What's one more?
BTW while testing for my response I found out that if you like the OSK it can always be easily accessible in a swipe from the left. But as I mentioned that would mean you could not take advantage of the TIP unless you closed the OSK, thus losing the option
of swiping.
Also, while typing this Edge became so slow that it was unusable. I had to clone the tab and continue there. More bugs/deficiencies/quirks.
FYI
Robert Aldwinckle