Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-23T18:41:58+00:00

    We seem to be stuck in a loop. I've tried every alternative that you've suggested; none has worked. You're now asking me to do the same thing again. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

    From this thread, it's pretty clear that this is a widespread issue. Yes, it's frustrating that it's not 100% repeatable. (For example, I woke my SPX this morning without any display brightness issues. A couple of hours later, the problem reappeared.)

    The Fresh Start process doesn't work (as described up-thread). The only option would seem to be to get a USB thumb-drive, create a bootable Win10 installer, and reinstall everything from that. I'm not ready to do that right now, because this is my current production device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-26T17:36:39+00:00

    I am experiencing the same issue with two Surface Pro X devices we recently purchased. I suspect this issue may be widespread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-29T14:17:58+00:00

    I am also on the same insider build 19041.1, experiencing the same behavior for a couple of insider flights now. I am not sure whether the non-insider version (surface pro x out of the box) had the same issue. maybe someone else with a surface pro x that is not on the insider track could confirm?

    I have filed a problem report on feedback hub as well.

    I was on insider builds but kept getting green screens so restored SPX to "out of box".  I get similar to Geoffrey - screen dims by itself after a few minutes (Change Brightness automatically is NOT ticked). If I click on the slider exactly where it was, screen reverts to the brightness setting I had previously.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-09T19:35:15+00:00

    I've got four Surface Pro X's, all doing this as well..... and have tried all steps described in this thread with no success.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T16:54:39+00:00

    OK, as of the latest OS build (19546) and/or "System Hardware Update - 11/21/2019" which appeared three days ago, the brightness issue discussed here seems to be fixed. Fingers crossed, but....

    UPDATE: OK, I was wrong. Still present (now at build 19555).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments