Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-11T21:03:26+00:00

    Thanks for the prompt feedback. But the tool that you link to has a number of options. Do you want me to use it to update to the "Windows 10 10 November 2019" version? I think I'm already past that: I'm on the Windows Insider Fast Track, currently running version 2004 (build 19041.1). I didn't think that reverting to an earlier version was possible without doing a clean install from installation media....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-11T21:15:41+00:00

    I am also on the same insider build 19041.1, experiencing the same behavior for a couple of insider flights now. I am not sure whether the non-insider version (surface pro x out of the box) had the same issue. maybe someone else with a surface pro x that is not on the insider track could confirm?

    I have filed a problem report on feedback hub as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-12T00:48:07+00:00

    HelloGeoffreyMArnold ,

    Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Please choose the second option under Create windows 10 installation media and click download tool now.

    Please keep us posted.

    Regards,

    Jonas_T

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-12T14:55:13+00:00

    Well, that didn't work. I downloaded the tool (MediaCreationTool1909.exe), ran it, and chose upgrade. It downloaded Windows 10 and some updates, told me that it was going to ask me to choose what to keep, and then displayed:

    I restarted the tool, with exactly the same result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-14T23:23:43+00:00

    Hello GeoffreyMArnold ,

    Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We really appreciate all the efforts that you did just to possibly resolve the issue.

    Lets try this : 

    Fresh Start lets you perform a clean reinstallation and update of Windows while keeping your personal data and most Windows settings intact. In some cases, a clean installation may improve your device's startup and shutdown experience, memory usage, Microsoft Store apps performance, browsing experience, and battery life.

    • To use Fresh Start, select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & security Circular arrows Sync icon > Windows Defender > Device performance & health. Under Fresh Start, select Additional info > Get Started

    Please keep us posted.

    Regards,

    Jonas_T

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments